Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Dynamic Portal - Choose your fields !!

This topic is 7509 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

(Edited: Later on the thread is another sampler, which brings some other features)

Here's one method for displaying AND entering in a portal just the values you need, and their related value lists.

Another use of Get Field () laugh.gif

P.S. : The attachment has been edited to get rid of unused scripts, so that you can't be confused while exploring the settings.

DynamicPortal.zip

Great contribution Ugo, Get Field has been really usefull for me.

Ive used it to create dynamic merges in bodys of emails. By using a value list of the field names from a given database, then inserting them into the body of the email, then parsing through and replaceing the field name with the contents (get field) you have a really flexable merge feature.

Charles

(Edited: cross-platform update here)

Hmm..

Here's an update which allow :

- Horizontal Scrowl within fields

- Switch from Classic Portal View to Horizontal View (the real one)

Stil allow entry into fields from the portal. Not "allow creation of related records" turned on though...

Added a few fields and Value Lists, to make it even more reliable.

Right you are Charles, GetField() is a real handy feature, and when associated with GetRepetition, it does some miracles.

Check it out. I just hope I've checked it too... wink.gif

Robert, I've changed from 1 second to 2 seconds even if I don't understand why it should be like this as the script checks for not Empty.

Thanks as usual.

DynamicPortal.v3x.zip

It doesn't matter how many seconds you pause in Windows. If it isn't a pop-up menu, then it won't work. Pop-up lists vanish after the allotted time and do not reappear until you click outside of the portal and then back into the field, which destroys your control of which field is to be set. Add another layout for Windows (If [Abs(Status(CurrentPlatform)) = 2]) with the portal fields formatted as menus, and you can even set the pause for zero seconds.

Uuh ??

I've set the Tab Order so that the script would go to next field (the same field with a pop-up list) in the tab order if Mac Users....

Too bad I can't check. Works fine on Macs.

I had however stacked all fields with the same value list when setting the format in a grouped way. This is corrected.

So you say I should work with a Window Layout ?

This is over my head !

As a test, I've changed my If[Abs(Status(CurrentPlatform)) >1] script step to If [Abs(Status(CurrentPlatform)) = 1], and it just went it was suppose to go, that is the next field in tab order. Why should it do it another way on Windows.

Do you really mean it is jumping to next FieldName, that is jumping from field to field, rather than list to menu as it should ? Or was it that bug I mentionned and just corrected about the same value list being displayed for all fields ?

Thanks JT for the feed-back. You've been a Mac User, so you might understand my confusion about it smirk.gif

Say I have Gender as the first field and Birthstate as the second. Clicking on Gender results in the menu for Birthstate, and clicking Birthstate results in <No values defined>. crazy.gif

Hah ! tongue.gif

Thanks for the help in dissecting those Windows trick from a Mac computer.

BTW, for all lurkers here, I'm the one who rated this post 5 stars. blush.gif

Got distracted by the phone, while I thought I was selecting an icon for a quick reply...

My bad.

Also solved an issue on the horizontal Part of the Sampler.

I'd "detach" all other samplers so the latest is the accurate one.

Thanks buddy.

cool.gif

Hi,

I won't delete the first as it is less involved than the second version. I'd just make it x-plat too.

Now, I lately discovered 2 other demos around the FM Community, which might be interresting to check, as they are using GetFied() the same way. Not surprisingly, they also happen to be more "readable" as they are mainly focused on the "dynamic change" of fields.

Let say newbies should start from there... smirk.gif

- Dynamic Portal !!! from Andy Gaunt. Sorry for this Andy wink.gif

DynoList bt Dwayne Wright at afilemakeraffliction.com, just released on Oct 17th, which does the same with List views.

And BTW, you can use GetField() for just another purpose...sorting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.