Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Creating an Invoice.

This topic is 7375 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all,

I don't know if this is possible but here I go.

I was asked to create on our internal website an invoice. So, using CDML I created pages with Filemake to generate a billing invoice, which wasn't too hard to do. The problem now is that I'm being asked for this....

When a person fills out the invoice they just put in the billing info, like company name, address, what they need and so on. Then usually what they do is print it out and give it to someone in accounting to finish it up with the pricing info and to make any corrections.

So my question is, how can you bypass the printing it out on the first part so the person can fill in the first part then some way send it to accounting and have them finish it up all online then print it out. I hope this is somewhat clear....

Thanks,

Jaser

Do you use Filemaker internally? Does Accounting have access to Filemaker?

At this time I am not asking about anything web related.

If they do use or have access to Filemaker, just have them open the database and script them a list of all the open invoices. They can then fill it out and print it.

Optionally you could setup the same procedure to happen on the web-page, but why?

Thanks for the response.

Well for people that fill out the first part there are about 12 of them and I'd rather not install Filemaker on there PC due to Licenses. I'd rather them fill out the webform that adds the record to the FM Database and have them send it off somehow to the one accouting person that finishes it up.

I can install FM on her pc, which your suggesting will workout great, but I want her to be informed somehow when a invoice is added to the DB. Then I guess she can open it up and have it listed by date or something.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

hmmm, well here's an idea or two I'll throw out there...

What if you had an e-mail that sent out to the accountant once the first part had been filled out. The e-mail would contain a link to the specific record so she could follow the link, add the needed info, then print it. Then once she finishes one, move the e-mail to a different folder.

Or maybe you could make a new CDML page that listed all records that have the first part completed. I'd use a tag field and set it to 0 initially, set it to 1 once the first part is filled out, then a 2 when it's complete. Just have the new CDML page list all records where tag field = 1.

The accountant could browse to this page whenever she had a chance.

Just some ideas, hope this helps!

I like the email idea, how could I set that up. Right now on the web the user can fill out the first part and hit a button that adds the record. What else do I need in order to have it sent to the accountant and have that link work?

I am new to Filemake so forgive me for all the newbie questions.

Thanks again!

http://www.fmforums.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=71519&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

check that thread out, it's got a some info on the form tags. Also look to the CDML reference database (which you should have by now, if not, search the forum for "CDML reference" and you'll find a link to download). It has info about each component.

If you search the internet section for "email" you'll find more threads about doing it and some about some issues to consider.

Good luck.

Hi, Jaser! I'd suggest using both of IM's suggestions. Use an auto-generated e-mail message to notify the accounting person of the incomplete record (you can even send all the info that was entered at time of creation), and then let the accounting person browse/search for specific records and/or all records that are incomplete. Use IM's numeric 0-1-2 map if you're gonna hide it form the users since it is theoretically quicker to use numbers, but I'd suggest using regular English for a "status" field if they're gonna see it (STARTED, PENDING, COMPLETE, etc.). --ST

One more thing, sorry! I looked at the link that IrongateMachine suggested where they have the Send Mail script. The only question I have is on the main page where the user inputs the data when it's time to send it off does the record get add as well? I would like to have one button that says summit which sends an email to the accountant and also adds the record.

Thanks.

Hi, Jaser! I believe th script is executed when a FileMaker action takes place (-new, -find, -edt, etc.) so I think the answer to your question is, "Yes, the record is made and the mail is sent as a result of the action." I hear the problem with running scripts over the web, though, is that they are "single-threaded(?)". Let's say that in your solution one user hits SUBMIT. This will create the new record and start the MAIL script you made. If, however, another user hits SUBMIT before the mail script has finished, I believe user B's record will be made but the MAIL script will not execute for him because it has not finished w/user A yet. My understanding is that this can be compensated for by checking the state of the script before execution, but it's more of an ordeal than beginner's would want to take on.

I use -mail tags in a 2-step process I read from a Vaughan post. I believe you can also use an inline action on the -format page but I never got around to fully investigating that (tried, failed, thought of better solution, never bothered). --ST

Thanks Steve.

Well as for the script I think I have to dump it since I'm running my FM databases on a PC (Windows 2000) I tried it with that script and I think it can only be executed on a MAC right? I do have SMTP it on that PC but that is alread being used by another DB. Any other solutions? I think I will just have the submit button add the record and have the accountant check it when she needs to by opening up the DB via an opener. Then she can sort it by date (beginning of the month to the end somehow) and then input her calcs and print it out.

Thanks again for all your help everyone!

This topic is 7375 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.