OK I give UP!!

Aragorn

This topic is 7332 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Well I can't figure this out...I need a conditional value list where when the user selects a state the state standards appear...sound simple but it might as well be brain surgery cuz I can't make anything out of it....

I've included the file if anyone can figure something out name your price...I just have to result to bribery!!!!

Version: Developer v6

Platform: Windows XP

pe.zip

I am sorry cjaeger but I have NO clue how this works...I do not see the standards changing nor do I see the states in a pop-up list. Also the standards need to be in check box form so the user can check the one's that apply to that particular lesson.

I appreciate the help but its not working the way I need it.

Aragorn:

From looking at your files, it seems that you want to be able to show a different value list depending on what state is chosen, yes?

In that case, your "valuelist" file should have records that consist of the following data:

1. SerialNumber

2. State

3. Value Item

Each individual line in the value list would have a separate record in this file. The reason you put the state in there is for the relationship you'll use to create the way the data is shown in your main database. In your main database, make a field called "State." Make the field a popup menu or whatever, and set the value list to "use values from field" and pick your "valuelist" file, and pick the "State" field. Now your value list will show all the states you have entered data for. Now, create a relationship between your main file & the valuelist file, and pick the "State" field in each file. Next, pick the field where you want the valuelist to appear, and pick "use values from field" and this time it's "related values", and you pick your new relationship, and then the "Value Item" field. Now, when you pick a state in your popup menu, the valuelist for that state should automatically populate your field...

-Stanley

THANK YOU Stanley...I knew I messed up the valuelist file some how and that's why I could not get the relationships to work...

I figured someone did something similar before and it was really frustrating me...I wish there wasa decent book about this stuff...The one thing I don't like about FMP is that it really isn't made for the individual...mostly corporate use...

And forget tutorials on the web...either they want you to pay for them to do it or pay to be a member of their site...

Thx again stanley!!!

Aragorn:

"The one thing I don't like about FMP is that it really isn't made for the individual...mostly corporate use..."

I think most people here will disagree with you on that one. FMP is so much easier for the individual to use than any other powerful database that there's simply no comparison. The thing is to find, as you pointed out, the right documentation. Because you're using 6, you can use documentation from 5 or 6, and there is a ton of it out there. Check out Rich Coulombre & Jonathan Price's "Using FileMaker Pro", from Que books, or "Scriptology" (which is out of print), both of which are excellent sources...

Online tutorials are for the most part horrible. However, these Forums provide a great deal of what all those other sites claim to, and it's free...

-Stanley

Aragorn said:

The one thing I don't like about FMP is that it really isn't made for the individual...mostly corporate use...

I take exception to this statement, and feel that it is an indication of how little you understand FileMaker.

First of all, It is a heck of a lot easier to design a database for an individual's needs, than to design one for a corporate environment!

Second, FileMaker is probably the easiest environment you will ever find to develop in. At least it is the easiest one I have found since I developed my first solution back in 1984 in DBM2.

Aragorn also said:

And forget tutorials on the web...either they want you to pay for them to do it or pay to be a member of their site...

There are numerous resources available beyond their Web Site, all you have to do is use a little energy and search for them. As a self taught developer, I can tell you that there are no shortcuts, or quick fixes to the learning curve of FileMaker. Of course that holds true to any program you want to learn and use in a professionally. Lucky for us, there are a host of excellent books, classes, tutorials, example files, etc around for us to learn from, and there is always the FileMaker Manual.

smile.gif

However, it is up to us to seek this stuff out, learn how it works and then to use it.

If you are serious about developing in FileMaker, than you need to purchase what ever tools you need for the job. This would include one or more of the excellent books that are available (one of which was just suggested by Stanley). You can also sign up for a FileMaker class at your local community college, attend one of the Professionally Taught Sessions that are offered from time to time in our area by one of FileMaker Pros, or hire a tutor.

It you find this to time consuming, or of diminishing return, you might want to just hire someone to develop your files for you.

Lee

Version: v6.x

Platform: Mac OS 9

Yes that's what Iforgot to mention...I frequest FM fORUM and FileMaker Cafe forum...I always look for a message board when I need info on something...no matter the topic.

as for FMP being corporate, I guess I meant if you were to do a search on the internet for MS Access tutorial you would find a TON of sites, or My SQL as well. But with FMP everythin is either "Pay Me and I'll do it for you" or "Pay me and you can look for the answer yourself". Plus the plugins are so outragously priced that someone on a teacher's salary couldn't possible afford it. They seem to be meant for corporate purchases...

So when it comes to ease of use...FMP does apply to the individual well...when it comes to learning or improving FMP...its corporate all th way..

I agree that FileMaker is the easiest to learn database. I think that FileMaker 's documentation is minimal as compared to other databases.

Thre's a trade-off: FileMaker is easier to learn and edvelop in, but the documentation is minimal. Access, mySQL, et al. have a much steeper learning curve, but there are many tutorials, etc.

IMHO, the trade-off still weighs heavily in FileMaker's favor. Yes, you have to buy a book, read some forums, dissect sample files, etc., but getting up the learning curve is still easier.

I had an issue with an old Access db I was converting to FileMaker. I Goggled for hours and never found an answer to issue. Sure, there were tutorials, but no advanced knowledge on the issue. I'll take fmforums and the fine folks here over that crap anyday!!!

Aragorn: there are two issues here.

1) FileMaker Pro is the easiest relational database development tool to learn and use.

2) Databases are difficult to design and build no matter what the tool.

From this we can conclude: Databases are easiest to design and build in Filemaker Pro.

Teaching people how to use FMP is easy, it can be done in a week. Teaching people how to design a database is way harder. It takes years. It is a creative process.

Lee,

As for taking exception...I take exception to your comments...I have searched for HOurs AND days on filemaker pro and I am definitely no novice when it comes to computer nor the internet...I have built several computers and have learned MANY programs by searching the internet. I used many search engines (not just google) and have come up with NADA...instead of criticizing my search techniques maybe providing some of these wonderful sites you mentioned would have been better...

As for books, I went to 3 BOOKSTORES in my area and they had NOTHING on FMP (including Barnes & Noble)...I searched and searched for the Scriptology book and of course it is out of print...

Believe me I have DONE THE WORK...

As for "Being serious about developing in FMP"...I don't have the time to dedicate my life to one program like many of you do...Database building is not my job...I am a teacher..which by far takes up most of my time...And if you have any idea what a teacher makes for a living you would know that buying EVERY plugin for one little program...and I have yet to see a FMP class at my community college (I just finished an MS Access Workshop through work)...

"It you find this to time consuming, or of diminishing return, you might want to just hire someone to develop your files for you."

Give me a break!! I wouldn't be asking so many questions if I wanted to hire someone to do this for me...Like I said I am a teacher and I like to learn new things...I took this project on with the intent to finish what I started...so before you go insulting my integrity think about where my dedication lies.

It must be great to make so much money that you can buy every plugin you need or just hire someone to teach you something or build something for you...However most of us are not as lucky as you Lee!!

As for all those you TRIED to help me...I really do appreciate your imput and help...I have learned a GREAT deal since coming here to FM Forums and really don't want to stop coming here...However Lee pushed all my buttons with his post and I won't stand for it...

Stanley, Vaughan, Cyborg, and all the others who have responded to my questions I am TRUELY greatful...Thank you!!

Hours and days, searching the Internet... and you've built your own computer.

I can't speak for Lee but I guess I owe you an apology.

3587 post vaughn?...and how many of those flaming people? 3580?...YOU need to get away from the computer for a while buddy!!! LOL!!!!!

Now before this gets out of hand...this thread is ended unless useful info can be posted!!

First off, Aragorn, you've got to cool out. Both of the guys you are flaming are extraordinarily helpful, and honestly, I don't think Lee wrote anything rude to you in the first place. You just took it the wrong way. Getting frustrated and angry with people who are trying to help is not going to work.

Second, as to your actual problem. I'm attaching a fixed version of your files. If you click on the State in your main file and select Oregon, you'll see a proper value list appear. Look into the value list database and see how I've formatted the entries for Oregon. Each item in the valuelist has to have its own record; otherwise you end up losing all but the first entry...

-Stanley

lesson2 Folder.zip

Hi Aragorn,

Have you looked at the manuals on the fmpro website? I found that they weren't so bad to follow. http://www.filemakerpro.com/downloads/pdf/FMP_6_Users_Guide.pdf

When I first started with fmpro, I had difficulty coming to grips with relationships which appears to be your main stumbling block in your current problem. This is still a problem for me - having to create multiple databases to set up lists /relationships etc ... This is where tables do seem to be a whole lot easier to use, and I have heard that FM7 goes somewhat towards adressing this problem (though don't quote me on it as I haven't had a play yet).

This board has been invaluable, not just with helping me with my problems, but reading a lot of the posts will give you an insight into what filemaker is capable of.

In your defence, I guess the biggest issue I have with the board is that I need everything in laymens terms a lot of the time, and these guys are so amazing with their knowledge, that sometimes a simplistic answer through no fault of their own becomes quite befuddling. You're probably quite frustrated, but perhaps a better way of approaching this is to point out that you are a newbie and ask them to simplify their answers, or just explain it a bit more. (I think they've cottoned onto me not knowing jack by now ;-P )

Stick with it and i'm sure the rewards will far outweigh everything else.

Cheers

Stanley,

I want to thank you for taking the time to fix AND teach me how to set this up. That took a lot of effort on your part (I know my file is a mess...LOL)...I see where my mistakes were (separate record for each standard NOT each state), and the relationship (I was close with this one...???-)...It works exactly the way I want it to.

(However we'll have to agree to disagree on how I perceived other's comments...LOL)

kiwiora,

Yes I have used the manuals on FM's site...they got me to where I am today with FM but that's just showing HOW to use the program...my problem was design related...that's where the FMP books and/or sites like this come into play...I knew the mechanics of setting up relational databases but stanley showed me it was the DESIGN of my relationship that was flawed...

Thank you for your support

Aragorn:

Glad to have been of help. As kiwiora said, the toughest thing to tackle with FMP (or any serious database, for that matter) is relational theory; once you've got a handle on the concept, it's not so much of a puzzle, and you can design clean & functional solutions to most any problem...

-Stanley

This topic is 7332 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.