Sorting a set of Found records

This topic is 7313 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a DB set up and working online, and I can search for records using multiple criteria, and it returns the data to a table format. Now I want to be able to re-sort the 'found' records. When I try to add a simple re-submit it gives me the entire database not the found records. is there some tag or variable I'm missing to get it to do this?

Basically I'd like to be able to sort the table by clicking on the column header (a field name of course) without going back and defining the search criteria.

Thanks, Ed

FileMaker Version: 6

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Hi ed

If you are constructing your find through a script - which given that your data is returned in table format, it sounds like you are, you can add a script step

Sort [Restore, no dialog]

or a combination of this - I'm no longer working on ver 6 - the sort script step in 7 is much more user friendly - in 6 of course you need to construct the script step around an actual sort as it calls the last sort at the time the script was constructed.

2 other things...

1. check that in the layout setup>table properties, you have checked - sort data when selecting column

2. also you can add

> constrain found set

and

> extend found set

steps

please don't take my advice as the best solution - I feel eager to help because so many people here help me...

apples!!!

Andy

• Newbies

Thanks for the reply, Unfortuantely I am not using a script. Just some CDML tags. I set up a form to get the search criteria, and then output it to a results page which justs lists the data in an html table using [FMP-RECORD] [/FMP-RECORD] tags.

I guess I need to get a more up to date reference and figure out how to do this the 'right' way, instead of the old-school way.

Thanks, Ed

My HTML and CDML is sketchy at times, so this may be humorous at best...

If your column heading "Column1" refers to the field "Column1", define the heading as:

<a href="[FMP-Link: s]&-sortfield=[FMP-Field:Column1]&-sortorder=descend&-Find"> Column1 </a>

Of course, this is not overly secure since the link criteria are visible in the browser.... but it may work...

Paul

• Newbies

Thanks Paul,

That did the trick. I just needed to fix one little glitch in your snippet. The part "&-sortfield=" just needed to be followed with the field name (i.e. Title) not the [FMP-Field: Title] tag.

Thanks, Ed

This topic is 7313 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.