Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Not Recognizing carriage return

This topic is 7235 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am new to this whole FX.php stuff. I have successfully connected to my filemaker server, the problem I am having now is that when I display the fields from filemaker using PHP it is not recognizing the carriage returns that were entered via the Filemaker interface. Any suggestions???

Hi, Hellgie! Yes, actually I think it is a WEB problem of returns not showing up and not PHP, per se... but I think there is a php function that can convert your returns to <BR> for proper web display... I'm not positive, though. I do not use FX yet, but Garry Claridge mentioned in a recent post that FileMaker has the ability to specifiy formatting for a field when showing it on a web page using CDML, e.g. [FMP-field: yourfield, break] or [FMP-field: yourfield, raw]

Check to see if FX has an accomodation for specifying a field encoding/format.

--ST

Hi,

I got a reply in another forum that said Filemaker uses 'n' as a carriage return, so I made a script in php that replaces n with <br>. However this is not working. Does anybody have any idea what filemaker uses as a carriage return?

Thanks,

Eric

Internally Filemaker uses Returns. When data is exported Filemaker uses the Return as a record separator. It uses Line Feeds to replace Returns in text fields.

I have no experience with php so I can't help you there.

Actually, I'm new to PHP but I was confused about that, too.. maybe I still am. The n (unix) or the r (mac) and the nr (both characters for Windows, I think?) for new lines are not output on web pages. The CARRIAGE RETURN, ENTER, LINEFEED, etc. are different and platform dependent. If you do something like..

echo ("howdy" . " " . "n" . "r" . "hello, world");

then all you'll get is "howdy hello, world" in a web browser... no new lines, no returns. I don't know what it is, but I think there's a PHP function to convert those to <BR> when shown. I don't know what FileMaker uses internally or if you can capture/filter them.

--ST

Hi,

I figured out my problem, hopefully it will help others. It turns out that the n needs to be in double quotes when using the str_replace function. So for example here is how I would echo a field that I got from Filemaker with line breaks:

echo str_replace("n","<br>", $filemakerfield);

Hope this helps other people...

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

This topic is 7235 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.