Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Conditional Logic Outside of FileMaker

Ted S

This topic is 7206 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

c:directory_1directory_2

I'm running FM6.0 on W2K & XP and I would like to write a script that opens the Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) in directory_2 if it exists, if it doesn't exist then open in directory_1. The name of directory_2 is contained in a field within FileMaker and directory_1 is always the same but directory_2 may or may not actually exist.

Any ideas?

Are you trying to display a list of files for the user to select? If you use a file plugin like Troi File, which would enable you to determine if the folder existed and to popup a file list? If you're set on using explorer.exe, I would think that you'll need a way to change the "current" directory (which I would guess is stored in the registry). You could also use WinBatch web page , which can perform all kinds of file and directory manipulations.

I should have been more clear. I'm really only trying to get the Windows Explorer to start in the folder that is named in one of the FileMaker fields.

This is a reference database where we contain information about our products but some of the products have additional info contained in Word & Excel documents for instance. I want to have a button that will take the user to the proper folder if there is one or leave them one folder up if there isn't.

I would like to do this without any plug-ins if possible.

I don't know what version 7 allows, but in prior versions there is no way to know whether a folder exists without using a plugin. Given how Filemaker doesn't seem to want to step on the plugin developers, I would bet that v7 is no better in terms of relating to the operating system. That said, I would highly recommend Troi File (and Dialogs) to make what you want to do pretty trivial.

Steve

This is the line you need: cmd /c If not exist "c:Folder_1" (explorer.exe c:Folder_2), else (explorer.exe c:Folder_1)

Placed in a text field, use the Send Message referencing the field.

You need two Global text fields: a Global Text field to hold a single ". and the other global to set up the cmd command. The SetField calculation would look like this:

"cmd /c If not exist " & _Quote & "c:Folder_1" & _Quote & " (explorer.exe c:Folder_2), else (explorer.exe c:Folder_1)"

Your script would be:

Set Field [_Command]["cmd /c If not exist " & _Quote & "c:Folder_1" & _Quote & " (explorer.exe c:Folder_2), else (explorer.exe c:Folder_1)"]

Send Message [_Command]

What you are doing here is creating a Batch file on a single command line and running that batch file (or command file if you like). This method can be used for a lot of things in Windows - you just have to test for each Windows version, the syntax is veeerrry picky. I did the attached file on W2K - I did not have time to test it on XP.

Hope it helps...

OpenFolder.zip

DykstrL,

It works but whew!... you were right when you say the syntax must be dead on. I spent about an hour working on the syntax of this one line. The matter was further complicated because the file path had a space in it so I had to surround the path name with quotes but it works like gang-busters!

Thank you sir.

This topic is 7206 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.