Multi-Page Field?

edgaroso

This topic is 7191 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

hi - i'm a documentary filmmaker and am developing a database containing very lengthy transcriptions of interviews. Instead of splitting up the 30 page word documents into seperate records within FMP, is there a way to make multiple pages of the lengthy transcription under one record? i'm not sure if this is an easy process, but i just haven't been able to figure it out. what i'm trying to avoid is having a page that's 50 feet long!

wink.gif edgaroso

Here is an idea... Use three fields: TheRidiculouslyLongField, PageGlobal, PageDisplayCalc...

ThePageDisplayCalc is simply -- MiddleWords ( TheRidiculouslyLongField ; (PageGlobal - 1) * 100 ; 100 )

The 100 is arbitrary -- use what ever works for your layout. You'll need a couple or few scripts -- e.g. goto next page, previous page, first page. These scripts will simply increment or decrement ThePageGlobal. You can paste your length transcript into TheRidiculouslyLongField and then view it page by page via the calc field.

Just drag your field so that it spans multiple pages. Also under Sliding/Printing... set the field to slide up and reduce the size of the enclosing part. Your page won't be 50 feet long, it will break the field across the pages. Also you can put a header or footer with a page number symbol and other data (e.g. title).

I thought you were asking about printing. Sorry if I misunderstood. If your goal is to have a short field on the layout, you can simply format it with a scroll bar. J's idea is good too if you want to get fancy.

This topic is 7191 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.