Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Pop-up List stays popped

VFXdbGuy

This topic is 7108 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a layout on which there is a single editable field formatted as a pop-up list and a portal that displays records based on that pop-up list.

The problem I am having is that, because there is no second editable field, the pop-up list reopens everytime after you select a value. Omitting the editable field from the Tab Order doesn't help. Adding another editable field just looks dumb.

Any ideas??

Ah, but that is the problem. If you don't allow entry the focus never goes to that field and the pop-up stays popped. If you do allow entry, the focus moves to that field but the borders are displayed regardless of whether you format it with borders and/or make the field and its borders transparent, change the text colour, etc... and that looks very odd.

But, luckily, I stumbled on the answer! Resize a second field using the Object Size tool to zero width by zero height. It actaully uses values a litle above zero (mine shrunk to .014 x .014) but it becomes invisible, even when selected.

I've come across the same situation. I did it a bit different, but I suppose the results would be the same.

Copy the field, then make the 'copy' field enterable, but just a regular standard field. Now move copy exactly over the original and then send copy to the back (layer). Make sure the tab order goes 1-original(pop-up list), 2-copy. Once something is selected from the pop-up list, it'll automatically go to the next field in the tab order. It essentially looks like the list goes away after a selection.

• Newbies

I am a fmp novice. I am working with Filemaker 5.5. trying to gear it more for the sales department. We use it to create price quotes. I have corrected all the big problems and I am stuck on something that i know is an easy solution, but I can not seem to grasp.

Under Format

Field Format

there is an option called:

Pop-up-list

pop-up-menu

check boxes

radio buttond

I have it on Pop-up list, which is what i want, but I also want to check off Include "Edit" item to allow editing of value list.

This box is grayed out and will not allow entry. If i change to Pop-up-menu then i have the option of selecting this, but pop-up-menue does not help me out.

I can't figure out what i need to turn on or off that will allow me to check this option off.

Any help that can be offered will be greatly appreciated.

I don't have version 5.5 so i can't really say what's happening. In version 6 I get the opton for "Edit" but not if the value list is using data from a related field. I suspect that is what you are seeing. Try changing the value list to a simple list o text values and I think you'll see the Edit option becomes available.

• 2 weeks later...

Popups have changed little between versions 5-7 but they have distinct personalities; and not simply that List is best for Mac and Menu is best for Windows.

Values from Field:

Menu includes Edit (if you so wish) because Users can't directly add or change values in the field (although they can delete an entry after making a selection). The Edit option allows flexibility while using Menu allows tighter lockdown.

List is a bit looser and does not include Edit because you can directly enter the field (after popping it, click it again to enter field).

Custom Values:

Menu includes Other and Edit. Other doesn't add the new value to the Custom VL but it accepts additional entries. Edit allows directly editing of the Custom VL.

List doesn't contain Other because (by its very nature) 'other' items can be added. But it nicely also allows Editing of the Custom List.

So ... if you want to use List and allow Edit, just teach your Users to click a second time in the field.

As an aside ... Allowing Edit has nothing to do with the Value List being based upon related records. A value list simply derives its list from the related values which it then presents for selection and insertion on ANY field. You can even attach the same value list to three separate text fields if you wish. I just thought I should clarify that. smile.gif

LaRetta

This topic is 7108 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.