Pulling up multiple records without using a portal

Jacob

This topic is 7108 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to set up a database with at least two relational databases. In one I would like to dump information regarding classes being taught in our department (i.e. number of credit hours, time of day, which classroom, who is the inrtuctor etc.) and in the other database information about each instructor (i.e. tenure?, personal information, research projects etc.). Eventually I would like to create a report with specific personal information, as well as a list of each class that each professor is teaching for a given semester. (which is why I would like the classes in a separate file, one that could be emptied and refilled each term) I would use a portal, but some professors teach many classes, whereas others only have one or two. Is there a way to get an adjustable length of portal for printing, or a way to show all the classes that a professor may be teaching?

Thank you

Jacob

Create a value list of the related classes. Then use an unstored calculation of ValueListItems( Status(CurrentFileName), "classvaluelist" ). If you prefer a comma-delimited list of classes, use Substitute( ValueListItems( Status(CurrentFileName), "classvaluelist" ), "

Welcome to this Forum, Jacob.

Following Queue's answer...

...Or you could have 3 files B)

Classes.fp5, with ClassID and Class Information

Teachers.fp5, with Teacher ID and Teacher information

TeachersInClass.fp5, with either the ClassID and TeacherID, used to create a Join between Classes and Teachers.

Then your portals would be linked from Classes or Teachers to the TeachersInClass file, from which you'd print your report.

A for the "given semester" parameter, this can be also included in the Join file, so that you won't need to change anything to the Clas record itself.

a compound with TeacherID & " "& gSemester & gYear , where gSemester and gYear are global fields would match an indexed key of TeacherID&" " &SemesterNum& " "&Year.

This topic is 7108 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.