Major Boolean bug in FM7

Piotr

This topic is 7086 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FM7 has a SERIOUS bug that renders all my solutions created in previous versions unusable. I rely heavily on calculations that use statements such as:

Case (Field1>0;"something";"something else") or Case (Field1=0;"something";"something else")

These Boolean statements no longer work in FM7. Previous versions of FM understood the statement

Waa Waa.

If you had used the isempty() function that was available, you wouldn't have this problem now. Just because some other trick works, doesn't mean it's appropriate.

Bite the bullet and fix your calcs. It's really not that hard. Maybe your DDR can help you locate instances of this type of calc.

Thank you Ender for your constructive reply. You missed the point completely: the issue is not that I am too lazy to fix my calculations, the issue is that the Boolean statements in FM7 give FALSE results. I am not going to migrate to the new version until this bug is fixed.

You may have to wait for a while then, unless you take your time and change your calcs.

By the way, what you call booleans aren't booleans structures, and you may find that the real boolean

not Field1 will work if you unchecked the not evaluate chen empty.

Also, text based calcs should be converted to GetAsNumber(Field1) and would work as well as it was before.

There were some adjustments, some I don't like neither, but in this case, I won't bet you are on the right track.

Hmmm, I always thought that comparison operators that compare two values and return either True or False make a Boolean statement. The only difference in this case is that True = "empty" and False = "not empty". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Piotr,

Good luck with Access! Its handling of Empty, Zero, Null and "Who cares" leaves a LOT to be desired.

If I were you, I would be having nightmares about the errors in my historical calculations. If you use "Case (Field1>0;"something";"something else")" on a numerical field, it will usually return "something else" if Field1 is empty, in all(?) versions prior to V7 and presumably V7 as well. [Access returns #ERR, I think, or some other of its helpful thingies.]

Piotr,

I'm not that advanced in Filemaker, but I do know that it is not a bug for FM7 to evaluate Field=0 and isEmpty(field) differently.

It's logical. It's easily concievable that a person may want to know when a calculation evaluates to 0, as opposed to when there is no information to calculate.

So it's not a bug, just one of those bad habits you picked up early. I've been monitoring these forums to learn how to fix a lot of the bad techniques I used when I was starting.

[Let me tell you about my grandchild... ]

I expected a pile of twigs, Barbecue. Could the wrong picture be a result of your use of "grandchild..."? Those "..." can play havoc.

If I knew how to get a link on this, I'd show you a picture of a REAL grandchild.

This topic is 7086 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.