Web Compatible script steps

This topic is 7028 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Question:

When you list all the script steps that are web compatible, loads dissappear. Does this mean that in a database you should not create scripts that are not web compatible even if the script isn't to be used by a web user?

I would believe that a database should use all the functionality of FileMaker except Web Users just use a different set of scripts and layouts that are web compatible.

I've never used Web Companion so I'm a little out of my depth. Is it easy to get into?

Can you use data stored in web space? can you have your line item file accessable over the web? I am trying to work out whether I need to keep on uploading and importing to a comma delimited file all the time or whether I can just link up to a file that is on a ftp site accessable to all those that know the password.

Cheers

ScriptMaker is, AFAIK, single threaded and handles only one event at a time. Further, ScriptMaker does not queue subsequent event requests. A busy site is likely to receive near simultaneous event requests.

If you are going to use ScriptMaker for web publishing, or in a combination of web publishing and peer-to-peer, you would be well advised to rigorously test your solution under heavy usage, including especially requesting ScriptMaker events.

The longer a ScriptMaker event takes to run, the greater the opportunity for subsequent event request failure. In versions earlier than 7 the languages for web publishing did not, in and of themselves, recognize event failures.

A dedicated FileMaker novice could create a way to cause the recognition of an event failure in the earlier versions.

A dedicated FileMaker novice could create a way to cause the recognition of an event failure in the earlier versions.

Keithtalk translation: "dedicated" = very determined, insightful, clever, logic/programming/scripting experienced, ScriptMaker-wise, et. al.

But at least Keith is helping you a lot by telling you it can be done. Trying to solve something when no one else has done it can be demoralizing/doubtful unless you are as "dedicated" as Keith has said. Knowing something is possible is somewhat of a comfort. Personally, I just avoid running scripts over the web with the exception for those housekeeping scripts that don't matter if they execute every time for every instance.

--ST

fair enough

sounds eiyte! will ensure that the scripts are only for things like printing a layout or doing a sort or search rather than setting values into global fields, etc.

And yes, it is comforting to know that it is possible - hang on, let me go back and see what i asked again, oh yeah, syncing with a database stored in webspace.

now, MySQL - will have to investigate this - all a new grey area for me previously stored as white and hopefully one that will make sense soon.

As regards my ability to recognise event failures, let me share with you my credentials:

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel tram stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Kenyan refugees. I write award-winning operas, and manage time efficiently. Occasionally. I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play

bluegrass cello, I had trials with Manchester United. I am the subject of numerous documentaries.

When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my garden. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy eveningwear. I don

Keithtalk translation: "dedicated" = very determined, insightful, clever, logic/programming/scripting experienced, ScriptMaker-wise, et. al.

Golly whiz, ST, you've emphasized only one word of a two word phrase blush.gif I'd suggest determined and tenacious.

Novice means self-taught in FMP, written fewer than 25 ScriptMaker scripts, no idea that an event failure could occur, no knowledge of the meaning of "single-thread", only single-user developments and no programming experience. I'm not very clever, having made a financial loss for myself by becoming involved with FMP. The bankruptcy would seem to indicate that my insight must also be lacking and my logic is questionable at best.

For the benefit of mattlight, who is using Pro7, an event failure means ScriptMaker did not function. This happens most often because ScriptMaker is in the process of performing an event (single-threaded or capable of performing a singular action) when a subsequent event request is made. Being already in use and lacking any queueing capacity ScriptMaker acts as if the subsequent event request were never submitted. The upshot of a failed event is the data can get "lost" by not getting processed through the ScriptMaker event. And when that occurs through a web submission the client is misinformed and led to believe the transaction was successful and the owner of the db files is not informed that an event was requested but not performed. And of greatest concern to you, a failed ScriptMaker event could interfere with the wooing of women while engaging in urban hang-gliding.

KEITH: Sorry, man, just trying to complement you, King of Scripts... but if you put 100 true novices in a room with FM's script-over-the-web problem and you'd be lucky to get 1 who can figure something out like that. I started visiting FMForums just at that time and learned a lot from your, uh... discussions, with Anatoli. I even visited your website, but since I was just starting out and new to FM, scripts, and web publishing, it was all beyond me at the time. But Keith/Anatoli/Garry posts were my best CDML teachers. Keep it up! I'm just bummed that all my own efforts to help folks w/CDML like you guys did will fade to oblivion just when I was starting to gain some momentum. I feel your pain if not sharing your financial investment. FM is still my favorite office db, just not my favorite web publishing db anymore.

MATT: I think every version of FileMaker since FM4 lets you web publish your databases. FM4-6 had Instant and/or Custom Web Publishing, FM7 only has Instant Web Publishing. FM5/6/7 out-of-the-box can web publish with restrictions; unlimited/server versions of FM are $$$. FM4 out-of-the-box was unlimited. If you serve in-house, you have near total control. You can use what you already have to try it out. As GC said, there are ISPs that host FM db's (I think I even remember a post about one in NZ, if that's where you are). If you go with MySQL synchronization, there are products commercially available if you do not write your own stuff or hire someone like Garry. Glad to see you have managed to squeeze a little FileMaker into your life, too, though!

--ST

This topic is 7028 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.