Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Beginner Help

picnichouse

This topic is 7034 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I'm trying to map a bunch of fields to another set of fields with different names. The way I thought I'd do this is to make two tables and create relationships between the synonomous fields. I'd like it so that when I add a record in one table, it automatically creates that record in my new table.

For example, I have two tables, "apple orange cucumber banana" and "orange yello green red"

So I make the relationships

apple = red

orange = orange

banana = yellow

cucmber = green

And I checked "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" and "delete records in this table via relationship" for both boxes.

What else do I have to do?

By the way, the reason I'm doing this is to remap the headers for the invoice export from my web store to my local accounting software.

Thanks!

Hi, as i am not an expert, i won't say take my word as truth, but i have one question for you, do u really need to have the records in both table??

otherwise i think your relationship should only be on 1 field "record_ID" and record 01 has a field with apple and an other one with red, etc...

Is that what you want to do?

Hi, I guess i'm not completely sure what it is you are trying to achieve. Are you exporting a CSV formatted file from your Invoice headers from your webstore to a rename fields for that are structured for your accounting program? Are these programs in FM?

If you are doing just a straight CSV import and want field names that are suitable for yuor outside accounting software, then just match the fields on your import.

Am I correctly understanding this?

Are you exporting a CSV formatted file from your Invoice headers from your webstore to a rename fields for that are structured for your accounting program?

Yes, exactly. They are not both FM programs, neither are. The idea is to run the csv file through filemaker to format it properly for the accounting software, which is very finicky about having things just so and doesn't allow me to match the fields on import.

This topic is 7034 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.