Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Printing a complete portal....

JFul27

This topic is 7028 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all!

Wondering if you can help this poor girl out before the day is through...

I have two tables, InvoiceSummary and InvoiceDetails. The data entry portion works great - have a portal set up that allows users to enter line items in the InvoiceDetails page for the related record in the InvoiceSummary table.

However, I do not know how to print out all records in a portal. For instance, one invoice has 26 line items. How do i print a invoice that has all the headers from the Summary table (Name, Address, Phone, etc.) and then be able to print all related records from the Details table (Qty, Amt, Etc.) When I used a portal, all I can see is the first 5 or so records and there is no page 2 to continue on to.

Hope I am making myself clear -- ANY help/pointers are greatly appreciated.

Warmest regards,

Jamie

Hi again -

There seems to be another problem with the report I created. The invoice details are not sorting correctly. In the header portion, I see the correct info, but the details that are displayed are from ALL records. The database is set up so that a user can search for an invoice, which works correctly, then click on a button that runs a script to display the "report" to print. Is there some sort of summary function I am missing, that allows the page to break before the next invoice header?

Appreciate your help immensely! I feel so lost!

Thanks,

Jamie

Hello! smile.gif

I am not sure exactly where to place this command. Currently, after the search is complete, the user clicks on a button that runs the following steps in a script. Go to Layout (Report), Enter Preview Mode. The result ends up being all records in the database. How do I restrict the result to the currently found set?

Thanks again!

You would put the GTRR step after the find, in place of the Go to Layout step. You can specify the layout to use in the GTRR step itself. You need to do this because there is no correspondence between the records found in one table and the records found in another, unless you specify the related limitation. If you merely Go to Layout, it will contain all records from the last find or GTRR or Show All Records step. So use GTRR, specifying the desired relationship from your current layout's TO to the one on which Report is based.

Hi Queue~

I am not too sure I understand....I think I am missing something important, either in my schema or in the report design.

Everything seems to be working fine with data entry and with searching. But trying to print an invoice is proving to be the problem. I have the layout set up to get records from the InvoiceSummary table, with a portal to the InvoiceDetails table. As I mentioned above, this has restricted me to be able to see and print the first five details only.

I tried setting up a layout the opposite way - getting records from the Details table, but do not know where to put the Summary fields on my layout. Ideally, I would like the user to be able to search for all invoices beginning with a number (which is working on my Search layout) and then be able to print out these records with all the details shown (sometimes an invoice is more than one page so I would like to keep the InvoiceSummary at the top of each page for an invoice).

Any suggestions? FYI: My schema is set up so that the InvoiceSummary table has the Invoice# as a unique identifier. The Details table does not have a unique identifier, but is linked back to the Summary table by a Invoice# field.

Hope I'm explaining this well enough. I greatly appreciate any advice!! smile.gif

Regards,

Jamie

It's usually easier to set up the report in the details table and use related invoice information in the Header or subsummary parts than to print a portal from the invoice table. Put summary fields from the details table in subsummary parts on your report. More than likely, you'll be summarizing by Invoice#. Make sure your detail records are also sorted by Invoice# (and any other fields by which you may have subsummaries) so that the subsummary part appears when previewing or printing the report. There is an option when defining subsummary parts to insert page breaks before a part or after them. You can experiment to see what works best for you.

Queue,

It looks like I have everything set up correctly with one problem. The Search table is a copy of the data entry screen (in Find Mode) that allows the user to search for invoices by either the InvoiceHeader or portal records. When the Find is performed, the records are displayed correctly. HOWEVER, attempting to then display these found records in the layout that gets records from the details table is not working. Instead, all records are displayed - correctly sorted by InvoiceSummary, but not restricted to the found set.

HELP!

Thanks again....

This is where the Go to Related Record step comes into play. You have to limit the found set in the resulting layout; you cannot simply Go to Layout and expect the records to be limited. Viewing records in a portal does not change the found set in the related table either.

You need to add a step to Go to Related Record [show only related; "yourrelationship"; Using layout: "yourlayout"], where the relationship is based on that of the portal. If you want to view more than just the current invoice's related records, you'll need to loop through the found invoices and set their ids in a global text field, separating each with a

Hi again!

Just wanted to let you know that I solved the problem! smile.gif

Turns out that my layout was set up correctly - the only thing missing was the Sort script step! DUH! After adding the sort, the records are now printing correctly.

Thanks for taking time out to deal with my issue - I really appreciate your input as it has also helped me expand my db with additional features.

Greatest regards,

Jamie

This topic is 7028 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.