Creating Record & copying data from another table

This topic is 6999 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a script that takes data from a form that the user fills out in one layout, converts the completed form into a standard block of text, then creates a new record in a different table and stores that data in the second table. The idea of this all is quick references based on ID numbers corresponding to a client between the two tables.

As of right now, the data is transfered from table to table using a simple copy/paste job. I know that this can't be the best way to do this. Any suggestions?

Set a global text field with the text calculation and a global with the client id, then create a new record in the second table and set the client id with the global containing the client id and the text field with the global containing the result of the text calculation.

Globals can be referenced without a valid relationship. So they are quite useful for passing data between tables.

But then why not use the new relationship features to create related records and bring the data to the other Table automatically.

You may change the ID field in Table 1 to a global if you wish.

See attached 3 methods of doing this without any "Creation"script, nor a script to set a global into the other Table.

CreateAndPassData.zip

You can do it that way also, but I don't know how well it will work to pass a calculation that may exceed the character limits on indexing. Obviously, one of the scripted options would be easier to use in this case.

Ugo, I don't think this is really a new feature. It's only been expanded due to the use of multiple-criteria relationships. It can be done in previous versions, but requires a concatenated field in both tables for the relationship. The 'forcing' a relationship to be valid technique is still the same.

Ok, this sounds logical, now let me make my problem a bit more complicated. Input table has 5 records because I have five people that may be entering data simultaneously, so global fields can not be used.

The way the system is set up, it's one form used to enter data about a client's visit to a site. However, I have 5 people who may (if circumstances are right) be entering data of 5 different clients into the database simultaneously. It's not 5 people entering part of the data about a single client, it's 5 people entering all data for 5 completely separate clients simultaneously. So if I had one record with global fields, one user would type in the date of a client visit (part of the form) and then another user could inadvertantly override that data by typing in the date of another client's visit. Or am I completely off base here? If I'm wrong in my assumptions of how this would work, please let me know.

This topic is 6999 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.