Rookie question about fields

This topic is 7017 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm making a layout for logging my video tapes using timecode ins and outs for my clips.

I want to simply type in 8 numerical digits and have FileMaker put a colon in the number after every two digits, so I don't have to type the colons in by hand after every 2 time code digits. I've tried every combination of settings that I could think of in the field options panel etc. I found a layout online, but it required me to type the number in one window, and then it put the number with the colons in another window. I'd like to type the number in, and in same window put colons after every 2 digits when I tab out of the box.

Is this doable and can I get pointed in the right direction?

Thanks,

R

Set your input field to Auto-enter the following calculation, and uncheck the Do not replace value.. option.

This also enters the leading zeros automatically.

Let ( [

tc =  Right ( "00000000" & GetAsNumber ( [color:"red"]yourFieldNameHere[/color] )  ; 8 ) ;

hh =  Middle ( tc ; 1 ; 2 ) ;

mm =  Middle ( tc ; 3 ; 2 ) ;

ss =  Middle ( tc ; 5 ; 2 ) ;

ff =  Middle ( tc ; 7 ; 2 ) ;

d= 0

] ;

hh & ":" & mm & ":" & ss & ":" & ff

)

There is no performance advantage to using Let for the hh, mm, ss, and ffs here since each is only referenced once in the calculation. It does make it cleaner-looking though. But what exactly is the unused d variable?

Comment,

Thanks for the valuable info.

Some questions still. Where do I set my input field to auto at? Where can I find the "Do not replace value" check box? What type of field do I select as my Time Code in and out boxes?

Thanks,

R

This topic is 7017 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.