Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Interface File: Display subsets from Data file...?

This topic is 6952 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hopefully, this is a simple one. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Simplifying, I have a data table called BIO which contains many records and a large number of biographical fields. Records can contain one or more entries in a Category field (i.e. Student, Faculty, Parent, etc.)

My Interface table has a large number of layouts which are useful for viewing biographical data from each category.

My TO to the BIO table happily populates the layouts with ALL records in BIO.

It would be extremely useful if I could Toggle between SUBSETS of BIO records. In this way, I would not have to have multiple copies of the layouts. Is there a way to have such a "Dynamic TO" which when, for instance, "Student" is selected in a global, all Student records appear; "Faculty" selected provides a collection of Faculty records; perhaps with checkboxes, I could view several subsets simultaneously.

I have read all of the Filemaker articles exhaustively, but have missed this feature ... if it exists.

Thanks again for any wisdom you might be able to provide.

DSW

If I understand correctly.

Make a text field in your interface layout formated as a pop up list using a value list containing the values from your data table ie. faculty,Student.etc.

Make another field format as calculation which = 1st field.

Define a relationship to your data table which matches your calc. field to the field that contains faculty,student,etc.

Your portal using the same relationship will now display records depending on what is selected in the pop up list.

Hope this makes sense, I can mail you an example if required.

Vin.

Why the calc field, Vincent? You can relate directly from a global to a text field. And in response to the original post: yes, the global can be formatted as checkboxes.

Also keep in mind that there are two ways to do this: using a portal to show the related records, or, simply showing them in a list. The advantage of a portal is that the records in the portal will update as soon as you change the value of the global field, whereas narrowing down the list will need to be scripted. However, by laying some invisible buttons over a checkbox field, you can get the same effect, plus all the ease of working with a list of records rather than a portal.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 6952 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.