Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 6887 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

or the undocumented feature of portals (They Have Memory).

Hi to all friends

I discovered something that is so beautiful, that I named it the TOP TIP.

As my English isn't so good, please see the attached example.

It is wroten in Italian* language, but sure you'll be able to understand and to translate.*

Please note that for the forth example you'll need the CalSnap by Brian Dunning

This attachment is .fp7, but you can download an .fp5 file in the nineth post !

* or you can look the attachment of the forth post for an English (?) version ;-)

TopTip.zip

If you read the script (that is always the same one) attached to all those fields, you can see that no field is definited, but the script points always at the right field (the field that was clicked) !

BTW this is the Babelfish traduction of the first example:

This matrix is composed from 105 fields, formatted as push-buttons, to which is associated only one script of 7 lines, that does not know the names of the fields. The script recognizes from which field ( look at the field "NomeCampo") comes the call and it is behaved consequently. To notice that all it happens also on a new record. This is the Script associated to every field:

....Here is the script

Anyone reads the script will be able to notice that something lacks... Nevertheless the script works! The only thing that is successful to assume is that the portal has its own memory.

feel free to ask more !

Ciao

Hi Daniele,

As each block is a portal and each portal only has one field, I'm not sure exactly what this file demonstrates, unless that you can Set a field (or insert) without specifying the target field.

Is it its intent or did I as Bruce missed something ?

Hi, Ugo

you said:

you can Set a field (or insert) without specifying the target field.

I did never know that it was possible in any other way ...

so many friends asked for a way to set fields with one script alone !!

And the replay was that they can't ! But now they can.

okay Daniele,

This feature does indeed work, with either SetField or Insert since FileMaker 5 I'd think.

Particularly useful in fact in a loop through a series of fields on a layout , involving Status(CurrentFieldName) to determine what the result of the SetField can be.

I'm using it for Find Process where the criterias are stored elsewhere, and it was one Xplat workaround for some "dynamic" SetField (see this thread )

Now we have your example as a demonstration, which is fine.

You said:

I'm using it for Find Process where the criterias are stored elsewhere, and it was one Xplat workaround for some "dynamic" SetField (see this thread )

Nel thread da te indicato, ad una domanda simile riguardante i campi data, Queue ha risposto NO oppure SI, MA TUTTI I CAMPI DEVONO ESSERE IN "TAB ORDER". Quindi si poteva usare un LOOP.

Con questa TIP non c'

Daniele,

Non ho detto che tutti conoscono il tip, ho detto che adesso c'e una demo che lo illustra.

Con un solo campo in tutti i portali, e naturale che uno script Vai alla riga del portale [primo] vada in questo campo senza loop e che Definisci Campo [vuoto; data] definisci quel campo in questo portale.

Da qui, Get(NomeCampoCorrente) o qualsiasi funzione Get ( ) centrata sul campo attivo andrebbe bene.

Una strutura del genere si limita a quel contesto del "pick" mentre non potresti fare a meno di un loop se c'erano piu di un campo per portale o se cerchi di definire dinamicamente un field (ecceto se usi AppleScript o un campo "auto-enter" con un calcolo che venga rievaluato).

Vedo oggi le discussioni della lista italiana, e ti complimento per la demo.

Translation :

I didn't said everybody knew about this technique, I said we now have an illustration of it.

It is natural that having a sole field in any portal, the Go To Portal Row [First] Targets this field in the portal, and therefore that the SetField[empty;data] would set the active field in the selected portal with the desired data.

As soon as you'd be activating that field, you can surely use any Get Funtion related to the active field.

Such a stucture though is limited to the kind of "pick" scenario, but you'd need a loop if you had more than one field in a portal or in any other attempt to dynamicaly set a field (unless you use applescript or an auto-enter calculation set to reevaluate).

I've seen the discusion on the Italian List and let me in turn congratulate you for this demo file.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.