Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Auto Generate Data From Filemaker in PHP

This topic is 6878 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I am new to Filemaker and PHP (I am using FX.php) - so speak very slowly...

I am very familiar with Filemaker 6 and CDML and custom web publishing. On the opening page to my site an inline action is performed that searches an article database and pulls up the article that is marked with the correct date.

I want to do this with Filemaker 7 and PHP - I can do a search with a find page and a result page, but am not sure how to duplicate the inline action that I do in CDML so that the search automatically happens when the inital page is loaded... If someone can let me know how to do this I would be forever grateful!

Laura

Hi, Laura! Welcome to FMFORUMS! Yeah, it used to bug me that FM could not query and show data on your 'first' page unless you put it all in the url. Even an INLINE would not work unless you tickled the Web Companion first. I haven't worked with PHP/FM yet, but in PHP/MySQL I can connect to a db, perform a query, get results, process the results however I like, and then display results all on the same page. The is possible because PHP resolves before the HTML is given to a visitor's web browser but unlike CDML, parameters and actions do not have to passed from the URL. They just request a web page and the server executes everything before giving them the web page.

It's nice to hear you can do this with PHP and FM. I wish I had the time to look into this now, but... maybe next summer (sigh).

Oh, BTW... if you'll be re-using this query, you may want to write it as a separate file and then use PHP's include ( ) function. CDML kinda had this, too, but I use it a lot in PHP.

--ST

This topic is 6878 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.