Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 6852 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I started filemaker at version 7, so I never had the pains that some of you had durring previous versions. Here is one of the first things I built in Filemaker 7.

You'll notice I was fairly new, I used nested IF statements rather than case, little things like that. Anyhow, I thought this was neat, leave me some feeback on it if you will.

You can choose any month, and any date, up to the year 4000, and the calander will display correctly, just like your computer calander. Currently, I have this related to a separate database that makes the dates turn red if something is scheduled for that day. Take a look, tell me what you think.

*Edit forgot to tell you guest account is open to full access.*

FMCalander.fp7.zip

Edited by Guest

H Zero,

I was going to Reply to your post the day you submitted it, but I wasn't quite sure what to say. Alas, I got busy and then forgot to come back.

You should repost your File, and this time include the related file. When I changed the month, the related data disappeared, and I didn't have the time to create it, in order to see how this part works.

Lee

:cool:

I'm not sure what you were hoping for, but I'll tell you my impressions.

There are a lot of calendar programs out there that do a lot more than simply show a monthly calendar for a chosen month/year. To be useful, a calendar database in FileMaker should include the ability to view items that are scheduled for a particular day, and possibly have scheduling abilities like recurring events and conflict detection (these last two are tricky.)

In any case, for a "Sample file" to be useful for others, it is important that it includes clear instructions on how to use it, and documentation about how it works so the technique can be reused in another solution. These omissions in your sample and the use of undocumented custom functions will make this hard for others to adapt.

Thanks you guys for the feed back.

Ender:

When I created this, I could not find a FM7 clander anywhere! At least not without buying a plug in. So, I was just trying to create the calander.

Making something related to this table is very time consuming and tedious, but what I did, was related my seperate table's "Due Date" to every DTE_Var in the calander table. This set it up so that when I clicked on a date, I could see what was due that day.

Furthermore, I had my custom function not only put the date in the right place, but turn it red if there was related records. I will delete sensitive information and repost the file in its entirety for you to look at.

Ender, that IS what I was hopeing for, thank you a lot.

Lee, the new file should have all relevant data, click on the date to see the information related to that day.

Guys: This is the first file I've posted on here, being one of 2 FM Developers at my company, we don't get a lot of feedback on coding or design. Thanks again. Here is the complete file.

Note as a whole this was built for me to keep track of external Plug in testing for Indesign and Pagemaker. The "Schedule" tab shows the calander.

Project_Testing.fp7.zip

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.