Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Separation of data and interface in version 8

This topic is 6546 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Have any features been added to version 8 which will facilitate the separation of a solution into separate data and interface/logic files?

I'm basically rebuilding a partially implemented project in version 8 and so far have a file with only the required data tables and one basic layout for each table. Without interface and scripting, now seems the time to separate if I'm going to.

Also, can someone point me to a sample file or set of documentation that describes the current "best practices" for the separation model? Right now I don't know what to do with the relationship graph, globals, and calculated fields. This will be a standalone solution, so I don't have issues with security and privileges.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

James McAlister

www.BulletinInserts.org

www.james-mc.com

• 8 months later...

Hi James,

Are you asking about just FM8 new features? I think most of the dramatic helpful structural changes came with the switch to FM7. So far the only real new feature in FM8 that has much impact on the Sep model is the get nth record function as far as I can tell, but I am just finally getting familiar with 8.

The Sep Mod has lots of believers and champions, but no established best practices as of yet that I could find (especially concerning the logic separation idea).

Implementing just a GUI file for all layouts and scripts is quite easy and very helpful in my experience. Just create a file called GUI, add a TO for each of your tables in the other files, create your graph (all in the GUI), and start designing layouts and scripts. It is getting the calcs into a different file which seems to be the awkward part- there are refreshing issues that come up. However, do not let that discourage you from settling for just stripping out the interface.

You are right though, now is the perfect time to do it. I would suggest mocking up a simple customer/invoice/item file to get you started.

Do let us know if you find the grail...

-Raz

• 2 weeks later...

hi, Raz

It is getting the calcs into a different file which seems to be the awkward part- there are refreshing issues that come up.

I am very interesting.this is my problem.

have You a simple customer/invoice/item file for me?

thanks

Ann FM8

This topic is 6546 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.