custom colors

This topic is 6682 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Thanks Reed,

This is an interesting technique, but I do kind of find the color pallette in FM pretty annoying.

As the OP stated, It doesnt store your last settings. Annoyance #1

But also, I wish that I could also select a certain empty pallette spot, then select the color. If you try and do that now it changes your color that you selected prior to entering the empty pallette spot to white... Annoyance #2.

:

• 2 months later...

I join you in your gripe-fest. This seems like it should've been an easy thing to incorporate.

I suppose you could customize your own theme and go that route. Me, I never use the thesems though, I always start with a blank layout and go from there.. call me old school I guess.

It is because of some OS difference, because the custom colors stay on a Mac. Hopefully they'll get it working on PC's soon (though it's been that way for ages). Of course, Macs had to wait years to get mouse scrolling in OS X, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Write Filemaker and complain.

I highly recommend modifying one of the existing Theme files, so you can have one which you can choose as your basic template. They are xml files, and have a lot in them, with sections for all kind of parts (mostly for printing). But you can see what they're doing and make a few changes to get what you want.

Hi,

Create a template layout and put any object say a box on it.

Apply the custom color that you want.

Similarly, you can create many such boxes with various colors on it.

These remain as is even if you close the file because the layout always remains.

Next time you open the file and wish to use any of these colors, then go to that layout, click on the desired box go to the color swatch and say add to custom colors.

Now you can use it throughout the session...

I presume this is an issue on windows OS...

Regards,

MetaSys

• 5 weeks later...

OK -- I've resigned myself to accepting that Windoze can't SAVE the colors once the file is closed...

BUT - How come when I "Add Custom Color" it simply replaces the previosu Custom Color - I've got a bunch of blank littel storage boxes for colors in the color chooser - are these just a tease to drive me crazy or what?

Edited by Guest

can't you just drag the color that is showing as the current selected color into one of the boxes? That is how it works on the Mac.

Lee

Edited by Guest

can't you just drag the color that is showing as the current selected color into one of the boxes? That is how it works on the Mac.

Lee

OK - stop braggin just 'cause you get to use a cool Mac and the rest of us are stuck with junk PCs.

I think this Custom Color thing is a conspiracy by Bill Gates because I can't drag a color over either. I spend a lot of time "picking" up a color and the recoloring the target object. A real pain. I wonder if I could dig out my old MacPlus and work off of it because this is really irritating!

I learned this from Andrew6000 about 6 months ago ... (Windows only):)

When you are in the color palette, press tab until you see a dashed box around one of the currently white 'custom color' boxes. use the arrow keys to select a different box. You must do this for each new color you pick. (tab to custom colors, arrow keys to highlight a blank box).

I load my palette BEFORE I approach the canvas. As for the differences in platform ... each OS has strong and weak points; just as each human. We work around the differences (and use the tools we have) in both cases, that's all. :wink2:

LaRetta

This topic is 6682 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.