Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Design questions..

This topic is 6767 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask, but here goes... I am going to create a new database that will be used at 4 separted sites (miles apart connected via T1 line). Currently, I have one site that works fine, but as I move into a multi-site situation I am not sure how to design it. They all use the EXACT same tables, however, I need to keep information separted by site.

I am sort of new, so bare with me... option 1.. keep all records from all sites in one table. This way I don't have to make 4 separate tables for each site... but then how do I do reports and the like separately? Do I have to do it in a relational table design level or can the user simple use teh FIND mode to search via that site?

Option 2.... make a separate table for each site.

Now my guess is that option one or some variation of option one is the right answer... less work! Make one table for all sites to share, just have to work on keeping data separated when I need it to be.

The other issue is that if all data was in one place, how can I make it so only Site A sees Site A's work and not Site B's and C's?

Could you make a "Site" table with only 4 records / codes...

Site A, Site B, Site C, Site D....

and then use that to relate to another table that has your records, one of them being a "Site Code"? Then somehow use the initial table to print reports from??

Thanks for your help!

Vandy

In the tables that they share you obviously need a "site code". you can then use Record level access restrictions to make sure any user from site A only gets access to records from site A.

Having separate tables for each site is probably not a good idea for reporting purposes: it will make it very hard to create reports across sites.

Define Accounts & Privileges -> Privilege Sets -> in the Data Access and Design group, pull down the "records" combobox and choose "custom privileges". There you can set all sorts of restrictions for record access (edit, delete, create,...)

This topic is 6767 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.