Files of the Same Name

Dave Bud

This topic is 8455 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

OK, Part I:

Can one file have different relationships with different files of the same name but in different locations?

For example, can "file1.fp5" on "Server #1" have a relationship with "file1.fp5" on "Server #2?" --or a remote server with a static IP address?

Part II:

Can "file1.fp5" do imports from and execute external scripts in the remote "file1.fp5?"

Part III:

Can "file1.fp5" perform the above-mentioned tasks in relation to a number of "file1.fp5's" in various static remote locations?

Gracias in advance,

DB

quote:

Originally posted by Dave Bud:

OK, Part I:

Can one file have different relationships with different files of the same name but in different locations?

For example, can "file1.fp5" on "Server #1" have a relationship with "file1.fp5" on "Server #2?" --or a remote server with a static IP address?

Part II:

Can "file1.fp5" do imports from and execute external scripts in the remote "file1.fp5?"

Part III:

Can "file1.fp5" perform the above-mentioned tasks in relation to a number of "file1.fp5's" in various static remote locations?

Running with TCP/IP the files are treated seperately, since then have an explicit IP address associated with each one. However I would STRONGLY suggest naming them differently, as I can guarantee that you are never going to be careful enough (no one can) to keep them totally seperated.

You WILL end up with some level of cross-contamination. Rename the files. Call them "fps1_File1.fp5" and "fps2_File1.fp5" at the very least.

OK, so this means going through all the relationships, scripts and calculations and redefining them to match the new names...doesn't it.

Any tips, pointers, short cuts, insights, prayers?

I'm really not looking forward to this....

--DB

What you are wanting to do is possible, but would have the same consequences as renaming the files, which is a much better remedy.

To use the same file names on different servers would require "hard wiring" the IP address of the server along with the file name. That would have to be done in ALL relationships and scripts used in the system to ensure that everything is pointed to the correct file.

Basically the same amount of work for either remedy. Bite the bullet and rename the files.

quote:

Originally posted by Dave Bud:

OK, so this means going through all the relationships, scripts and calculations and redefining them to match the new names...doesn't it.

Any tips, pointers, short cuts, insights, prayers?

I'm really not looking forward to this....

Are you looking forward to that conversation with your boss explaining how the data got all mucked up between these files?

Believe me, renaming the files will be far cheaper than trying to fix the data.

This topic is 8455 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.