Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Yet Another Calendar (FMP8 Only)

This topic is 6635 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is an attempt to create a calendar without having to use a large number of relationships/portals, or create a large number of placeholder records. The only records that get created are the ones for the actual events.

This solution is unlocked, and I certainly welcome any feedback. Please email me at the address listed below.

Here's a screenshot:

Month View

Some notes:

1) This is definitely a work-in-progress. I'm all for making this a robust, open-source solution.

2) Right now there is no GUI for adding/updating events, but there is a "Event List" button in month view.

3) When in month view, clicking on any day number will take you to day view.

4) For a somewhat detailed explanation of the logic behind this calendar, please look at the DEVELOPER NOTES script, as well as the comments in the other scripts.

Regards,

Sean Mills

Grantwood Technology, LLC

[email protected]

Disclaimer:

FM Forums does not endorse or warrantee these files are fit for any particular purpose. Do not post or distribute files without written approval from the copyright owner. All files are deemed public domain unless otherwise indictated. Please backup every file that you intend to modify.

yet_another_calendar_20051121.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Entrepreneur,

Thanks for the comments. The next step is to add a GUI for adding/updating events. And I also have to devise a way to check if it's OK to add an event.

For example, say you want to schedule a new event at 2pm. You look at the 2pm slot in week view and it's empty, but because I'm not using portals, it's certainly possible that another user may have already scheduled an event at 2pm.

I could add a "Refresh" button, but users might not always remember to click this button.

Regards,

Sean

Great solution. For the multi-user environment and conflict checking how's about usinbg a post-entry routine to check the schedule and if there is a conflict throw up a flag? I seem to remember a hearty discussion on the fmserver forum about this type of topic and a post entry check, by consensus, seemed to be the most reliable/reusable solution.

• 3 months later...
  • Newbies

Sean,

I am new to FileMaker Pro, and have been looking on-line for several days for an example of a calendar to get me over the hump of understanding the mechanics of this database software. I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your posted example. Thank you for blazing the trail for those of us who follow.

Dennis

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.