Since upgrading to Win2K related files take forever to open

jfrick

This topic is 8221 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Since upgrading our pc's OS from Win95 to Win2K related files take forever to open. This database has been around as long as I have - well almost. It's hosted on WinNT 4.0 We have several other hosted newer databases that work great. I think its the relationship and the "Filespec" if your familiar with that term. I've tried re-establishing the relationships but it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas? crazy.gif" border="0

I notice you upgraded from Win95 to Win2K. It leads to the question: Could the computer itself be too old to handle Win2K? A client recently wanted to upgrade, only to discover that the BIOS on some of their computers was too old. It's possible that the age of the BIOS (or other components) allows some things to happen, but other things just get screwy.

It's a thought, anyway.

Dan

Thanks for the reply Dan, I've tested the database on different computers (some P4's and it's still slow) It appears to be related to the FileSpec. I've since re-established relationships and scripts links directly on the server and that has helped. I'm still curious if this is a Windows 2K issue or not. Thanks, Jeff

Follow up: I believe I've solved the problem. It may not be the best solution but it worked. I renamed the files that took a long time to pull up. This means re-establishing all links to those files in Define Relationships and any scripts related to those files. Thanks, Jeff

This topic is 8221 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.