Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Windows Remote Desktop

mr_vodka

This topic is 6687 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi.

Let me start off by saying that I have never tried doing this. So, basically I am a total noob with regards to trying to access a machine remotely.

I am piggybacking off this post and other past posts.

I am not trying to allow users to connect to FileMaker remotely. What I am trying to do is just get into a client's machine so that when there is an issue, I can remotely take over and troubleshoot.

I am still unsure how to do this. I went through past posts and also tutorials from Microsoft and also this site.

I did everything they asked but I still couldnt find the computer.

The Setup at the client's office is very simple and basic. Its a very small office so nothing huge.

Cable Modem, Router, computers.

I know nothing about Windows Remote Desktop. One thing I was thinking was that I might need a dedicated IP address for the box that I am trying to get to. Is this true? From those tutorials, it seems as though you can just try to find it by computer name.

Any suggestions from those of you who have used Windows Remote Desktop?

hi,

it's not very difficult to setup remote desktop, that microsoft step by step seems to cover it.

but, as an alternative you may want to look at netmeeting, which requires less configuration.

it is also a microsoft product, and is installed on newer windows operating systems by default.

HTH,

jd.

There's alot of ways you can do remote support. One way is to build a VPN server and VPN to your office network . Then install VNC server on the each client desktop and you use VNC viewer to connect to the desktop. Second way ( if it's only 1 computer ) you can forward port for the VNC from your router to the desktop. There are also other few ways to do it and it depends how you want it.

Btw this is a windows issue not a Filemaker issue.

Hi Jane,

So if I have followed the steps from that Microsoft tutorial, then as per the tutorial, I can just do a search for the computer called, 'mediawork' and I should be able to connect without using an IP address. Does this really work? What if people named it something generic like 'WorkComputer'? The program will search the whole internet for computers named 'WorkComputer' which many people can also have? I not sure I quite understand.

Hi Andrew Lee,

I dont want to go and have to setup a whole VPN. I just want to log into their computer once in a while when there are issues. I used to be able to just go there and take care of it, but now that I have moved, it is illogical. I do not need to log in all the time. Its rare, but when there is an issue, I would just want to control their desktop to see to troubleshoot.

I have used PC Anywhere before but the program is just too darn slow. So, I want to use the built in Remote Desktop, but when I read the tutorials I was confused.

Again its a very small office with a trivial basic networking setup.

Cable Modem --> router --> Computers using DHCP

no dedicated lines or IPs.

Obviously, I realize this is not a FM issue but I posted it here because I am sure that other developers that are consultants or work for themselves connect to their clients remotely all the time, so they would have input for me.

Ok there's 2 ways you can do it.

1. Assign the desktop with local static IP instead of using DHCP. Install VNC server (free) on to the desktop and open port 8000-8001 and port 9000-9001. Then you can remotely connect to the desktop from outside. Another way to do it is to use Windows Remote Assistance but that requires the user on the desktop to initiate the remote assistance through email or MSN. Unless the desktop/Workstation is running Win2K or Win2k3, you'll be able to use remote desktop but with that you still have to forward port 1723 to that computer. ( local static IP is required ).

Thank you. I will look into VNC Server as an option.

I also found some good reads for anybody that is interested in finding out more about Windows Remote Desktop. It seems as though I will indeed have to go with a IP address. Here are the links.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html

http://www.no-ip.com/support/guides/remote_access/windows_remote_desktop.html#7

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Aug/fea20030828021469.htm

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Still curious though why in the microsoft tutorial they had it just showing the name of the computer. Maybe that was for internal office purposes only and not trying to access from outside the network.

This topic is 6687 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.