Server Maintenance This Week. ×

New to Tabs

This topic is 6687 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I am a new FMP user, and this is my first time trying to make Tabs. It was able to create a Tab icon in Layout, but have not been able to add fields to it. When I try to insert fields, they just sit there ON TOP of the tab, instead of creating a new panel. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Alisun

Hi Alisun,

I am not 100% sure what exactly your issue is but if you are looking to create more 'tabs' then in layout mode, you can double click the whole tab itself and then you can create a new tab name.

You can then drag whatever fields you want for each tab onto the appropriate 'tab layout'.

Hope this was the answer you were looking for. If not try to describe your issue to us in more detail.

I'll better explain why I need a Tab: I am working on a healthcare database, and there is one record per person. Some of the fields apply to everyone (first name, last name, date of visit, etc). However, there is also a set of fields that will NOT apply to everyone (recurring treatments, response from treatments, hospitalization, etc). For the fields that will not apply to everyone, I want to create a Tab called "Recurrences".

In Excel there are "Sheet" tabs at the bottom of the screen. I want to create the equivalent of a "Sheet" in FMP.

I'm a beginner, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Alisun

I am still unclear on what the issue it though.

Are you having problems creating the tab control itself? or are you having troubles adding more tabs to the tab control interface? or are you having problem adding fields to a tab layout?

As I said earlier, if you are trying to create another I guess tab panel, you need to double click the tab control and then add a new tab name.

If you go to the help section in FileMaker, and type with the quotes

"working with tab controls on layout", you should get a basic understanding on how to create and modify tabs.

I'm having problem adding fields to a tab layout. I have a picture of a tab, that's it.

I followed the instructions in the Help menu, but when I drag the fields that I want to be in the Tab over to it, they just sit ON TOP of the Tab...

Alisun

Hi, attached is a screenshot... The Yellow tab called "Recurrences" is what I'm having trouble with. See how there are fields sitting on top?

I need to figure out how to make the tab work. It does nothing in Browse Mode when I click on it!

Thank you,

Alisun

YellowTab_Screenshot.JPG

First of all you only have one tab defined on the layout. As said earlier you need to define multiple tabs. Secondly, the tab is small.

Here I made a mock file you to take a look at. Also, if I may make a suggestion, You should think about using multiple tables to group similar data. In other words, you can seperate your information to have a table for patient personal info and procedures. At least that would be a start.

HealthCare.zip

1. Go to layout mode.

2. In the status area on the left, select the tab icon. Left button above 'field' and 'Part'.

3. Drag and draw the tab to the size you want

The Tabs attibutes window will open up automatically.

4. Enter the name of your first tab where it says 'Tab Name'.

5. Click Create.

6. Enter the name of the second tab where it says 'Tab Name'.

7. Click Create. etc etc.

8. You can mess around with the justification and the appearance.

9. Click Ok when done.

10. Now you can drop and drop the fields on the tab that you want. You must do this is Layout Mode. You have to make sure that the whole field fits ontop of the Tab layout area. Click on the second tab to put fields on the second tab.

John,

Horray! I got it! Thank you for all your help and listing the steps!

I created several tabs, and made them and the whole area BIG ENOUGH so that the fields that I wanted to drop in would fit. It worked!

THANK YOU!!!!

Alisun

This topic is 6687 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.