pdfs on a mixed platform network

ptr88l

This topic is 6587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We run a mixed network of xp and osx. We would like to have users able to click on a button to open a pdf. I have tried using a container field and storing a reference to the pdf file. But the guest machines can't find the pdf file. How (and can) this be set up to open the pdf file? What am I doing wrong? Is there a relatively easy answer to this?

If you store it as a reference only, then you should store the PDFs in a central location to all users. To open up a referenced file. users can just double click the file reference.

If you end up storing the file into the container field, then you can use the Send Event () or Open URL () functions.

thank you for the suggestion. Where would be a central location? I have had the file in the data folder of fm server. Should i put it in the g:common drive of the novell/pc network ? would the macs not see it then? or should i put on or two levels higher on the mac server. eg the desktop?

You might want to read through these old posts.

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/172930/post/189547

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/171133

I personally used to use the Troi file plugin to copy a copy of the file onto a designated file path that I had assigned; one for the mac users and another for PC users.

• 2 months later...

I use a web server to host the files - the files are scanned in numerically and placed in a deterministic location (i.e.:B server//folder//000.pdf) where the pdf goes up incrementally. I then don't even store the file or reference in fm - just a calculated path - the one shown above. this works well and i actually use it on the web as well as locally.

This topic is 6587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.