Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Get(LocalIPAddress) possible?

LaRetta

This topic is 6606 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there a way to capture a User's IP Address when a script is fired by them?

I've realized that two people can be logged on as the same Account, ie, sometimes I'll log on as many people (smile) but it is impossible for two people to be using two different IP Addresses at the same time, right? I would like to use this information if it's possible. :wink2:

LaRetta

you could always add a field into your accounts table - if you have one - to specify whether the current account is active... and on loging in check if the current account is active and if it is kick the user or something...

otherwise you could withdraw the ip from a send event to cmd console... though im not sure how to get values back from a cmd console im sure someone else could give you a hand...

~genx

Thank you both. :wink2:

Get(SystemIPAddress):P The IP addresses of all the machines connected to a NIC (Network Interface Controller) card.

Get(SystemNICAddress): The hardware addresses of all the Network Interface Controller cards connected to the machine.

I don't believe this will help me isolate which box fires a script. It just provides list of ALL systems (?). I currently capture the AccountName in User table. But AccountName tells me WHO fires a script - not which system. I want to know the BOX that fires a script (in the moment the script fires) to use within a script. I would settle for any ID or information that can uniquely identify the computer in the moment of script fire. Possible?

I use an Opener on each workstation. I was thinking the Opener could capture something from the system firing it...

LaRetta

LaRetta,

Workstation IP addresses may change from time to time depending on how the network is set up. IP addresses can be either static or dynamic. Generally speaking, the smaller the network the more likely a PC's address is to be static. With large networks a PC's address is probably going to be dynamic. Servers are generally static no matter what the size of the network.

You could go after the computer's name. Filemaker doesn't have a function for this but it can be obtained by typing "hostname" at the cmd prompt and then it could be imported into Filemaker.

... assuming you use a local opener file, why dont you just add a field in there to evaluate to get(hostname) which as far as i know is required to be unique... then pass this value along to your main file...

~genx

Hi Laretta,

Get(SystemNICAddress):P The hardware addresses of all the Network Interface Controller cards connected to the machine.

I don't believe this will help me isolate which box fires a script. It just provides list of ALL systems (?)

I think you've misinterpreted the help explanation. Normally, that function returns the one hardware address of the system running the script, but if the computer has more than one network card (like those having a 10/100 port and a wireless card,) then it will return the hardware address of each device.

Since each hardware address is unique, this is a useful tool for audit tracking. If you are tracking your computers in a fixed asset database, you can tie the NIC address(es) to the computers in that file, to see which machines are running that script.

Looking at IP addresses is also a useful ability, but they might be more useful in situations where you don't know the NIC addresses, but you know the IPs (or range of IPs.)

It would probably be helpful to know what your trying to use this information for.

It's unnecessary to have an opener file pass the user name information. That can be retrieved by the hosted files at any time.

Get(hostname) is not guaranteed to be unique, it just uses whatever the computer name is.

Edited by Guest

... yeh i thought get(systemipaddress) or get(systemnicaddress) referred to the computers connected to the current computers nic card aswell, as opposed to the hosted file... well there ya go, you learn something new everyday...

genx

Hi Mike,

I've been dragging my feet in responding. Why I want it:

Just curious.

Management wants.

Users roam.

I misinterpreted, I think. So if I fire a script and start it with Get(SystemNICAddress) then I will ONLY get the specific machine which is firing the script in that moment? And I can set a field with that information!

If so, I'm in like flint ... :wink2:

Lol, just to be a pain. If there are two NIC's and both are connected to a network i.e. wireless and cat5-6 cable, or there is one NIC that is lets say connect to two cat5-6 cabled LAN's, do we just get a carriage return seperated list in both cases?

~Genx

• 1 month later...

This topic is 6606 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.