Best way to deliver runtime solution?

This topic is 6503 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

What is the best way to deliver a runtime, so that users don't see all the ancillary files, and so that they know to click on the ".exe" file, which may be displayed as an icon? I've played with VISE, but I'm sure that there are better (and cheaper) programs out there.

You really need to use an installer on Windows. Here's a free one at Link called InnoSetup. The installer will build a shortcut and place it on the user's desktop if you so desire. Also, you might want to prevent users from opening any Filemaker file and only open the Main one, which when they click on the .exe the Main opens.

I use Setup Factory, which is easy to use, but not very cheap anymore.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I am a little lost. What is dmg file? And which particular disk utility you are refering to to create dmg file? Actually, I am just wondering, an application developed in Windows can it be compiled to run on Mac?

NotPro

• 3 weeks later...

"I am just wondering, an application developed in Windows can it be compiled to run on Mac?"

FMP solutions developned on one platform can be made into run-times for either platform without any additional work. However, Mac run-times need to be made on a Mac, and PC run-times need to be made on a PC. This requires two separate computers, or a Mac and VirtualPC (or a dual-boot Intel Mac).

Use NSIS to build a Windows installer - open source and a lot of features. http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

http://hmne.sourceforge.net/ is a great free editor for NSIS

• 1 month later...

bumping this post back to the top...it doesn't seem to contain an answer to the Mac installer question. What do you use to create an installer for runtimes on Mac OS X?

BTW, someone once mentioned "PackageMaker" but I just upgraded my iMac to OS X and there's no app "PackageMaker." It sounds like exactly what I need. Also, it isn't available from Apple's website. Any info?

This topic is 6503 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.