delete in field everything to left of ;

This topic is 6570 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database which I imported but it had a ":" in each record.

I would like to delete everything to the left of and including the ":" in each of these records. How can I make a script to do this?

The example is

004 ;) Toronto, Ontario

I would lIke this field to only say

Toronto, Ontario

Before you try this, make a copy of your file.

Then, in browse mode, click in your field, goto Records Menu --> Replace field contents, choose replace with calculated results and specify this as your calc:

MiddleValues(

Substitute(YourFieldHere ; ":" ; "¶")

;2;1)

Where YourFieldHere is your field

~Genx

I didn't think you asked to have a return placed in your fields - at the END of your field. And you probably want excess spaces removed. You can try this as well:

TrimAll (

Let (

anchor = Position ( text ; ":" ; 1 ; 1) ;

Middle ( text ; anchor + 1 ; Length ( text) )

) ; 0 ; 0

)

There are a hundred ways to write this...

Actually, TrimAll() isn't necessary unless you suspect your data might have extra spaces inbetween. If you're sure it's clean, you can shorten it to:

Let (

anchor = Position ( text ; ":" ; 1 ; 1 ) ;

Trim ( Middle ( text ; anchor + 1 ; Length ( text) )

)

)

Let() isn't needed but I like it. The first calc removes extra spaces throughout the string. :wink2:

Genx, the RESULT value from your calc produces:

(sp) (sp) Toronto, Ontario (carriage return)

I wouldn't want that result in MY fields. Do you test your stuff before you respond?

Speed aside, you had the idea but it was messy. From a speed standpoint, every evaluation counts. If this was Replace Contents through 600,000 records yes. I have record-counts this size and so do many others. And this import may be a weekly import for all we know. Over time, that could add up to a lot of lost time waiting for a process ...

While you're at it, add one more sin to the list, and that is the sin of assumption.

What if the next record has "005 ;) Montreal, Quebec¶Canada"? Assuming there are no carriage returns in the field is OK - but it needs to be pointed out.

The sin of assumption has indeed now been added. :wink2:

I realized I also might have mentioned that, if this is on ongoing import-need then this could be an Auto-Enter (Do NOT Replace) on the new field (leaving the original import field intact for an audit trail). And that a further, proper break-out of the address might be in order. Why do it later when now would be an opportune time.

I would like to delete everything to the left of and including the ":" in each of these records. How can I make a script to do this?

Use this calc to set the field to itself:

Replace ( entry ; Position ( entry ; ":" ; 1 ; 1 ) ; 999999 ; "" )

But autoformatting like LaRetta suggests, slows down the import considerably ...but perhaps it's worth it??

--sd

This topic is 6570 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.