Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Constraining found sets in FM7

This topic is 6599 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a serious problem with using Constrain Found Set script step in FM7.

What I am trying to do is to get a found set of records based on some criteria. Then I want to find only those records from this current found set which match a particular criteria and have unique person names. (For finding unique records, I am using the relationship feature as described in FM)

I am getting the first found set correctly. (about 4000 records out of about 70000 records) But the problem starts when I want to Constrain my found set for the second criteria. My script is something like this :P

Enter Find Mode [Pause]

Set Field [CheckUnique; "Unique"]

Constrain Found Set []

I am using pause so that the user can enter some other criteria also. Once he clicks on Continue or hits enter, a dialog box appears displaying -

Find in progress ...

Processing query

(I should get a found set of about 25 records).

But this find window remains there for ages and finally when I click on Esc, I am returned back to the previous found set.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I tried the same thing in FM8 and it worked perfectly fine, BUT my client wants to stick to FM7 only)

ANAND MOHAN

Edited by Guest

I'm not familiar with the "relationship feature as described by FM" maybe that is where the problem lies.

If the system has to resolve an unstored calculation through a self-join relationship for 70,000 records it will take a significant amout of time. Let the process run to completion (like an hour or even overnight) and see what happens. It might be working...

You could try performing the finds without the 'unique' parameter, then loop through the found set, omitting those where CheckUnique <> "Unique". It will probably be much faster than finding on an unstored calculation.

This topic is 6599 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.