FM Pro 2.1 Win95 to OSX Tiger?

CWS1

This topic is 5708 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi everybody,

I work in television, and our whole tape library is stored in FMPro2.1 on an old Windows95 desktop. How can I transfer the info to a Mac OSX Tiger with FM8?

Regards

I'm unsure of the exact sequence but you'll have to upgrade (probably to 5 or 6 first) and then convert to 8. With so many changes in the program, I believe a re-write would be easier than correcting all the broken file refererences and calculation behavior-changes. Is it a large, complex, multi-file solution?

FMP 2.1 wasn't fully relational -- it could do lookups though.

You'll really, really want to do a clean-sheet redesign in FMP 8. Heck, I'd even recommended a clean sheet redesign if you were migrating it to FMP 3 -- it was the first really relational version and it needed a redesign from FMP 2 and earlier.

• Newbies

it's a very simple b/w layout with about 20 fields containing basic info like tape no., contents etc.. Worst case scenario, what could happen if I install FM8 on my Mac and import old FMPro2.1 files?

This topic is 5708 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Norbert Wells
      This may be a really amateur question... but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do a find on a text field for records that "begin with" or "start with" a specific text string whether it be part of the first word or the entire first word. I am using FM Pro 4.0 and wonder why FileMaker Inc. didn't include a way to quickly and easily perform this seemingly simple task.
      Any thoughts? (I have already searched FileMakers Tech Info Library to no avail.)
    • By Chip Wallace
      Is it possible to use FM's find capabilities to search my inventory on the web? I want customers to be able to find what they're looking for, prices, etc., not to buy on-line, but to ease the heavy seasonal phone traffic in the store. I'm using Adobe GoLive to create the web site. Thanks for any help.
    • By Kymberlee
      HELP! Ever since I switched my old Mac IIcx for an iMac, FM crashes the system whenever I try to create a new summary field. Why?
    • By g.wrighton
      Hi
      I am currenlty using FM4.1 and have a file that is now approx 120MB in size - it is working fine, but I just wanted to know is there a limit to the size a DB file can be?
      Thanks
      Greg
    • By mcclamma
      I am running FM Server 3.04v on an NT Server.
      I have started getting the following error.
      --------------------------
      Svr Error 2022
      The server was unable to find a free connection 1 times in the last 60 seconds.
      --------------------------
      Everthing seems to be working, but I can't figure out why this has started. Any Ideas?
      ------------------
      HMc

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.