Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Find Mode Display

This topic is 6566 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I want to show some indication of the fact that the user is in find mode... i.e. the giant characters FIND MODE in red accross the screen... Well not exactly but close. Unstored calculations don't seem to evaluate in find mode... The closest thing i can think of that would do this is a global field with a merge field somewhere on the layout.. Wipe when leaving find mode, Add the words "Find Mode" when entering it, seeing as all my find modes etc. are script executed anyway. Can anyone think of a better way?

Cheers,

~Genx

Hi, Genx!

I do it such:

Fore find mode i creat other layout.

If user press button "Find" he go to this layout which he can not close by "x"

In this layout he pres button "Find" or "Cancel" for returning to Browse mode.

Sorry to butt in here but aaa said 'can not close by 'x''.

I presume that means the red 'X' in the top right hand corner of the filemaker window.

If so, I would like to ask aaa how do you make that 'X' inactive

Thanks

Phil

Genx,

Back to the original question.....

As a further thought, in my rewrite I do not let the user enter find mode at all.

Instead I let them fill out a load of globals on the find screen (browse mode) and then enter find mode via the script, replace the find fields with the globals and perform the find before returning the user to browse mode to display the results.

This gets round the problems one can have with the user not understanding find mode

HTH

Phil

How about a completely different layout (a duplicate of the original) with a the necessary FIND MODE information on the layout.

The script would be very short and your not wrestling with another field or calculation.

... I have 95 GUI layouts, all of which need to be searchable, this could cause problems... I haven't actually tried my method yet so i'm not sure, but what i do know is that what's currently going on isn't acceptable... My users are trying to add new records in find mode and then whinging to me :B. Even I do this sometimes if I happen to have to use it for some reason.

I'll try what i originally thought might work and get back with results. If not, i may try the duplicate layouts, i might be able to script it, but i really, really don't want to go down that path.

Cheers guys,

~Genx

Sorry to butt in here but aaa said 'can not close by 'x''.

I presume that means the red 'X' in the top right hand corner of the filemaker window.

If so, I would like to ask aaa how do you make that 'X' inactive

Thanks

Phil

Hi, Inky!

This method i use in attachment here:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/176455/post/204340/hl/+aaa/#204340

... I have 95 GUI layouts, all of which need to be searchable, this could cause problems...

~Genx

At this case using your method: global field, which says that user is in the browse mode will be better.

But function Get(WindowMode) not help?

95 layouts is a quite a few, but not huge. Do you really need all of them to be searchable?

If your users (and yourself) are falling for the old Find mode/Data entry trick then you might consider the solution not quite "user proof" yet. I have a solution comprising nearly 60 files with 30+ users, but all my find screens are distinctly different from general display, and usually feature a subset of fields required for searching - typically no more than 10, otherwise the users get confused, however thay all know they are in find mode and never complain about the problem you describe. Incidentally I also removed all the menu commands from the users and button scripted the features required.

Notwithstanding the above I knocked up a little soultion for you - see the attachment

ShowMode.fp7.zip

Hehe, nice use of the choose function :B... I have a universal find script, so the global field method will probably be the easiest to implement. Still curious that unstored calc's can't evaluate in find mode...

Ahwell, thanks for the help guys.

~Genx

This topic is 6566 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.