Conditional Value List?

Alisun

This topic is 6542 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, I'm not sure of the correct terminology... If I have a field with a value list called "Countries", and if I choose the United States, I would like the field beneath it to have a value list with the 50 states. However, If I choose the country Canada, I would like the field beneath it to have a value list with Canada's provences.

Is this called a conditional value list? If so, I can look through the FMP Forum archives to see if anyone has described how to set this up. Any help to point me in the right direction would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Alisun

John,

Hope you dont mind but I added a couple of touches to your file. The Label will change if its a State or a Province and the drop down will reflect State or Provinces through an auto entered calc.

Dean

Dean,

I tried to take a look at your file again, and I a message that the file is damagaed. I'm still trying to figure out how the conditional value lists are created...

How does Filemaker know when I choose "United States" that it should show the second menu with "Texas"? When I choose "Canada", how does Filemaker know to show the second menu with "Quebec"?

Thanks,

Alisun

• Newbies

Hi to All,

I have looked at your solutions to this post because I have a similar situation, but I cannot grasp the methodology in the examples. What I want is to have a value list in field-"Maker" and when a Maker selection is made it will autofill another field with a value list of that maker's products. My Maker value list would have about 8 or 9 values. I can't quite figure out what the 2 extra fields in your example are for since they both have the same calc and can't figure whyb there needs to be a Form View2? I would appreciate your help to understand this better.

Thanks heaps,

Brian

I'm having the same trouble - I know what a conditional value list looks like, but don't know where to begin to create one! The FileMaker Help section has great step-by-step instructions for most functions, but nothing for "conditional value list".

[color:blue]Conditional Value Lists, aka [color:blue]Dynamic Value List examples can be found in the Sampole File Topic, and as help files in the Value List Topic Area.

There are also several sites that have example files that maybe of help you.

John Mark Osborne's site

http://www.databasepros.com/

and

www.fmfiles.com

come to mind

Once you have had a chance to see how they are done, and if you still have questions, then post an example of what you are want for your lists .

HTH

Thank you very much for letting me know that they are also called "dynamic" value lists.

I found a step-by-step example on Filemaker's site, and (hooray!) was able to create a dynamic value list! For any newbies like me who want to see the example:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5833

Alisun :cloud:

This topic is 6542 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.