Server Maintenance This Week. ×

fx.php Newbie question

This topic is 6540 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Guys,

Im thinking of getting into the world of custom web publishing due to IWP's limitations (boy I've been dealing with loads of workarounds for months, and I think its time I looked at CWP).

Ive been looking at FxForge to help me get started with PHP and FileMaker 8. With IWP you create scripts which are web compatible, and you can tie a button on a layout to execute this script. With CWP do I still have to create script in FileMaker with the "Indicate Web Compatiblility" switched on?

Sorry for my ignorance, im trying to understand the concepts of CWP as much as possible before I dive in.

Cheers

Hi,

Most of the time you do not need to run a script from FileMaker, many scripts can be recreated using only PHP. If you decide that you need to run a FileMaker script, make sure that all of the script steps are web compatible.

As far as FXForge is concerned.

Our school system has been using FXForge for two years now and we have been extremely happy with FMWebschools software. I am anxiously awaiting their new update.

All the best

Joseph

Thanks Joseph,

So "most" of the scripts need to be recreated in php, like Creation of New Records, Sorting, etc.

And if I want to manipulate data once it is inside FileMaker, I presume I can run a script from PHP to activate a ScriptMaker script.

Any news on when the next update to FXForge is out?

Many Thanks

Jatz,

Yes to your first question. But if you get FXForge this will help you create simple php scripts to handle those tasks.

Depends on what manipulation you are talking about for question 2. But yes, you can run scripts from php that will trigger scripts in FileMaker to manipulate the data.

To find out when the next release of FXForge will be out I suggest contacting fmwebschool directly.

The new FXForge will be out just before Devcon. We are implementing "live" DreamWeaver support. This means you will be able to interact with DreamWeaver and FileMaker as you are building your web pages. We are also including a PHP palette within DreamWeaver that will function as drag and drop with live connections between FileMaker.

We have also added and enhanced help feature.

We have several other suprises as well : Look for the new FXForge to be released the beginning of August.

In Kindness

Stephen K Knight

http://www.fmwebschool.com

Thanks Stephen,

I cant wait! Is your "live" feature going to be similar to when you create dynamic pages with dreamweaver and MySQL, with the database,bindings,server behaviours being accessable (or am I thnking too far ahead)?

I don't have any FileMaker web clients, but I'd love to put my current db on the web. By the way your Beginners Guide to IWP was great.

Ooh,

now you've got my mouth drooling! If you need a beta tester external to where you are do message me. Have you got any pricing information available? On web projects I've worked with both Dreamweaver PHP + MySQL as well as Dreamweaver ASP + Access, just using code written mainly from Dreamweaver. Its great if you could implement with FileMaker.

Cheers

Jalz

This topic is 6540 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.