Server Maintenance This Week. ×

I want to remove the 'Tool' command from the menu

rejoice

This topic is 6530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In my application, I removed all the menu items. This works fine as long as the users are using FM Pro. But if the users install a copy of FM Adv, the 'Tool' command show up at the menu bar. This is no good as users can run some of the developer utilities. I cannot find a way to remove this. Please help.

I cannot prevent enduser to go out there and get a copy of the Adv. This is more so when I install the application to our offshore office in the Far East. I understand that software piracy is quite rampant there. I have no idea what users might do down there.

If this cannot be done, I might have to resolve to install a plugin.

Although it has been a while since I played with Filemaker's custom menus, I was able to remove the Tools Menu, but only by creating a runtime (I assume building a kiosk would do the same thing). However, what I couldn't do was remove the Exit command from whatever became the 1st menu. This killed my use of Custom Menus...I require a validation script to be executed when users leave certain screens. Nor do I think 'Exit' or the abilty to close sub-files or the entire system down from the Windows Close Button is right for my application. This led me to return to Dacon's Menu Control which I used extensively prior to version 8.

I would suggest you investigate this plugin...it provides more functionality in an easier-to-use package than FM's Custom Menus.

Steve

I agree, Steve, particularly if you are Windows platform. I couldn't live without the ability to bridle windows (and disable Exit). SecureFM with MenuMagic for FM8A is now available. It enhances custom menus (as well as removing the entire menu bar if you wish). It disables windows widgets, positions and freezes windows, script-fires based upon active window, layout switch or data change and much more - you can really write your own ticket.

LaRetta :wink2:

Thanks for clarifying, Steve. Yes, they are different products. I look forward to pulling Dacon's Menu Control into my toolkit as well. :wink2:

• 2 weeks later...

I assume that your solution will test the version on startup and presence of the plugins as if I run the custom toolbar script in 7 developer the toolbar locking will not run leaving everything available (accounts and privs) are surely the way to go for stopping this.

I do not see toolbar locking as a valid security feature just a way of customising my solution for the end users.

Edited by Guest

It's an annoyance that the Tools menu can't be removed, but not a security concern if you set up appropriate accounts and privileges. Users without privileges will not see the script debugger, be able to change the custom menu set, nor run a DDR on the solution.

This topic is 6530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.