Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Summary field from portal data

This topic is 6538 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

HI. I have a layout with a portal with several number fields from a related table. I added summary fields for each column just beneath the portal. when i enter data into a portal field sometimes the summary field does not update with the new total until i click in it, sometimes it becomes blank until i click in it and sometimes it calculates correctly.

Is there a better way to get the total numbers for the number fields? i am not sure what would cause the summary field to behave this way.

I've had this happen to me too! I look forward to hearing what people say is the issue...

I got around it by creating a merge field for the summary field:

I put a text field on the layout with the text:

<>

But I'm sure there's a better way...

Now I am confused. Earlier you said you wanted to sum the portal data. You can't do this in the child table, because the child table "doesn't know" which child records are related to which parent record (or to any other record in any TO, for that matter).

Yeah, thats what i thought, but my relational design knowledge isnt the greatest so wasnt sure.

Although now there is still the same type of problem. I have added the sum calculation fields to the parent table. i also added a conditional radio button field that subtracts one of the amounts. this changes the data in the related total field perfectly. however in the parent table sum calc field of all the totals, you still need to click in the field to see the change.

any ideas? thanks for all your help! this forum is invaluable to me!

hi comment. thanks for the help.

the radio button is in the parent table (TASK). in the child table (PROG_DOLL) i have a field called PROG_DOLL_TOTAL that has the following calc:

Case(

TASK::zEXCLUDE_PS_DESIG = "Yes" ;

Sum( PROG_DOLL_TRAVEL_AMT;PROG_DOLL_CONTRACT_AMT;PROG_DOLL_EQUIP_AMT;PROG_DOLL_MATERIAL_AMT) ;

Sum( PROG_DOLL_TRAVEL_AMT;PROG_DOLL_CONTRACT_AMT;PROG_DOLL_EQUIP_AMT;PROG_DOLL_MATERIAL_AMT;PROG_DOLL_PS_AMT) )

Basically if the radio button is set to yes, the field PROG_DOLL_PS_AMT is excluded from the total. This works fine, except that also in the parent table i have a calc field (zSUM_PROG_DOLL_TOTAL)that is:

Sum(PROG_DOLL::PROG_DOLL_TOTAL)

When the radio button is toggled back and forth, the zSUM_PROG_DOLL_TOTAL field does not update until you click in the field.

Any ideas? If need be i can possibly attach a file, but i would need to remove a lot of propietary stuff first. Thanks!

i changed the field to a global and moved it to the child table. it functions exactly the same, where the portal data refreshes instantly, but the parent's totals need to be clicked in first. maybe ill try and post the file

THANK YOU COMMENT!

the difference was that for your cSubTotal field, i was using a Sum() function instead of just the "+"

once i changed that, it seems to work fine. thanks for your persistance in helping those less knowledgeable!

I'd like to mention one other Filemaker "behavior" that can be useful:

It is my experience that pressing the Numeric Enter key when changing any value in the portal always causes the parent sums to update immediately PLUS all the portal rows are refreshed. This only works if you leave the Tab key as the sole "go to next field" key. If you attempt to use Enter for cursor movement then the result is the same as with a Tab (fields blank; totals don't update).

This topic is 6538 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.