Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Dumb question about web address

This topic is 6520 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

OK -- this question is going to display my total ignorance about networking. I don't know what I have to do to get the correct IP address with IWP on a Mac (OS 10.4.3). When I set up IWP sharing, I get the "internal IP" (I don't even know if I'm using the right term) so that within my network I can access the hosted database at http://10.0.1.7/. But I know that this address will not work outside my network.

What do I have to do to get it set correctly? Where do I find my correct address? Do I have to set up a Filemaker port? (I already did in networking.) Please -- point me in the right direction!

IWP works off a web server.

In your router/firewall you need to forward port 80 (the standard HTTP port) to the machine where your web server runs. This may or may not be the same machine where your FMS runs depending on how you set up FMSA (everything on one machine, 2 or 3 machines).

If you're already forwarding port 80 for other purposes then you need to configure FMSA to use another port (default alternate is 591) and forward that port. If you're not using port 80 for IWP, keep in mind that users will need to include the port in the URL:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:591/

I'm not sure what you mean. What, exactly, do I need to do to host my file? I'm connecting to the Internet by connecting to an Airport, which is plugged into a cable modem.

What settings do I need to change in System Preferences?

I am using port 591, and I know the principal of the web address/port...but I just don't have things set up properly to get the right IP address in my IWP set-up.

You do not need to change anything in your system preferences, however you must make you cable modem "point" to your database machine.

What has been described is the ability to direct a "port", which is a very small part of the whole IP Address, however for simplicity you can also "point" your PUBLIC IP Address to your database machine - this will carry ALL PORTS.

The PUBLIC IP Address is the address(es) granted to you by your ISP/telco. If this is not a STATIC IP Address then you will need to get the service upgraded as remote users will need to know the PUBLIC address at all times.

The process of configuring your router (aka cable modem) is usually done through a web page located in the cable modem. There should be the facility to "point" (also known as mapping) the PUBLIC address to you database machine. This is how internal networks protect themselves from public intrusion and is call Network Address Transaltion (NAT).

HTH

Sometimes there really is only a cable modem and there is no router/firewall built into it. You need to check that out because if there is no router/firewall functionality you're wide open...

• 4 weeks later...

Yep. Cable modems usually bridge a real public IP to the first device to come up on the LAN side.

Most don't require PPPoE, like SBC does.

Put a SOHO router behind the cable modem (ie; Linksys) use DDNS to resolve the changing IP on the WAN side, and point either port 80 or 591 to the private IP address of the machine hosting the FM.

You can use any available port, but 80 and 591 are considered "standard".

Make sure that whatever port you use, that FM IWP is set to the same port (Advanced button in IWP sharing setup)

Most cable modems aren't too smart, so after making address changes within the LAN, you have to reboot the cable modem to recognize the new addresses.

If you don't want to buy a little router (<$100), then make sure that you have and configure a personal software firewall on the PC/Mac. Then open the desired port here.

I know this all sounds like Greek to a non-network person, but I tried to use as much English as possible.

This topic is 6520 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.