Container field(s) not retaining picture file once database is closed.

This topic is 6493 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have two seperate container fields located in the same database. Everytime I insert a small jpg logo file into each container field, the images are gone when I go back in the database.

I leave unchecked the option "Store only a reference to the file" being I want the image stored IN the database. Each jpg is only 4k.

What gives? There must be something I'm missing. Each container field has Use Global Storage checked off.

Please help. It's not do or die, but man it's frustrating.

Edited by Guest

Your terminology is a little unclear when you say the option for global is "checked off". Does that mean it is a global or not. If the container is a global and the file is networked (multi-user) the contents will be removed as soon as you close the file. Just want to be sure. Otherwise, I don't know why it would be deleting the value.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, fields are type: Container and they're Global fields. Database is multi-user (hosted via FileMaker Server 8).

Are you saying Global Container fields in multi-user/hosted databases won't retain its data?

Thanx again for your help.

That is correct. They will retain only their pre-hosted data and will, for the period of the user's connection retain any data that that user inserts in to the global - however the data that that user inserts is only the data stored in the global for that specific user i.e. all other users see the pre-hosted data. When the user re-connects later, the data in the global is once again the pre-hosted data.

This is the way a global field works. i.e. it is session specific.. an easier way to put it... each session get's its own "global field" (they don't really get a field each, just think of it as variable) with a pre-defined value of the pre-hosted solution. If a user changes the value for any reason, the value will change only for them and be reset when they disconnect... i.e. when they end their session.

So, are you saying if I take the multi-user/hosted offline, make it single user, then input data into the Global fields, then return database to multi-user/hosted status, those fields will retain its data (Global fields won't be on any accessable layout for data to be changed).

What I want to do is simple. Our database keeps track of members, each member is assigned a Category Code. I want a Logo to appear as per the Category Code, hence the Global fields that contain said Logos.

I didnt think it would be this hard.

Again, thanx for all your help.

Edited by Guest

.. then why use globals? It doesn't sound appropriate for this purpose, though your right that if you take it off the server and access it directly through a version of FM it will store and retain what ever you put in there.

A genuine table joined via the carthesian product relationtype, with one record holding the logo image in a straight forward "not being global" containerfield.

Regard globals both fields and variables as temporary storage, individual to each users wheelings and dealings.

This is I guess that number one FAQ when networking a solution, and the gist of my answer have been given hundreds of times both here and other similar lists. This is a little annoying that newbees don't bother searching the forum for similar questions, but they could probably be excused, because it perhaps not is that obvious how to construct the search, but this one will get your boots filled:

+global +save

--sd

Alright, we have to fiddle with some ID's - I missed that, but I'm not utterly alarmed though - it's perhaps one of those rare occations where a repeating field might be in order?

The lesson to be learned here is you won't be needing half well not even 1/8 of the globals, summaryfields or repeating fields you once thought you would ...perhaps there ought be a bumpersticker saying "Have you been using globals lately - honk your horn"

--sd

Edited by Guest

I am so confused why we are using globals at all unless there are 5 static categories or something, but even then a simple relationship with a standard container field would be appropriate i think... i.e. I agree with comment.

Just a small remark.... I have only today joined this forum and it calls me 'stranger' because of the limited number of posts on my name. However, I have been developing in Filemaker for over ten years and I am neither strange, nor new to the business.... It could be that some of the developers that look at this forum for help, simply overlooked something obvious, like the storing of data in global fields... Or that they are indeed newbees and want to learn. Nothing wrong with that? Anyway, I think that it might be useful for meccaeric to find out about how to set up a solution and learn about structure and planning? There are different ways of realising the goal.

Yes well, repeating things over and over and over sooner or later gets kind of... repetitive. If you were to search the keyword "global" in the forums or "+global +session" you will see that the topic has been covered numerous times. We are simply trying to target the specific problem at hand as asked by the poster. That being said, if he or she does want to know more about any particular subject i.e. structure, this forum is one of the best resources i know of, and truth be told, almost anything a person would like to know is a search away - and if not, then a reply away.

By the way, you can choose what the forums "recognise" you as in your control panel. I mean they didn't really give me the tag "young and reckless" though it would be rather ammusing if they had.

In the mean time, welcome to the forums :).

~Genx

I havn't said there's something wrong with globals, however does it strike me, that when not sparsingly used are globals utilized on behalf of a genuinely normalized structure, as a sort of rescue or remedy.

I call it ECB (...not the European Central Bank) ...

Efford

Charm

Bluff

Which unfortunately is a system a lot of educational systems subscripe to, or rather give high grades for. What it does is, if you develope solutions with this attitude, you'll never humble yourself to use ingenuity and knowledge!

It's never said directly, but the lions share of questions stems from too fixed approaches aka the spreadsheet metaphor. I've been exposed to files asking for help with a tiny detail, but where it's obvious that the sender have tried to make french fries with a tennis racket ...and even worse perhaps spend 1000's of hours doing so.

Naturly are ECB'ers more likely to be employable than geeks, and my guess is that inhouse developers are prone to suffer from this tennis racket approach due to this...

--sd

FYI: This is in response to all posters (and I appreciate all posts).

First off, what is the point of a Forum of any kind when so many members respond with something to the effect of 'look it up in FileMaker help docs' or try 'reading a FileMaker book' or 'search the forum on keywords first'?

Believe me or not, I did all three. I own a ton of books on most everything I deal with. I make it a point to. However, sometimes, even finding the info doesn't quite give you answer you're looking for or doesn't seem to do so clearly enough. As for Forums, a lot of posters talk more technical then they have to, or at least, have to to me. Ultimately, you post a topic w/ details re: your own question/issue/situation, and hope its answered more clearly and to the point.

Thirdly, I'm not a newbie. I'm not an all-out FileMaker or Database expert, but I'm not a newbie. In addition to being the FM database admin, I'm the mysql database admin, the server admin, the tech support guy, the phone system admin, the webmaster, basically, the only IT person here...needless to say, I like to save as much time as I can.

Whew, I feel better now. :P

With that, yes, moving to a seperate Categories table/database related via a CategoryID is being thrown around (my idea a long time ago), however, I can't imagine that would be absolutely needed.

Let me mention, that although we have ~30 Categories, there are only one of two logos that any Category would be assigned.

I have the following fields: Company, Category_Code, g_logo1 (Container, Global), g_logo2 (Container, Global). Then I have field c_logo_flag (Calculation, Result is Container) with following calc:

===

Case(Category_Code = "VM"; g_logo1;

Category_Code = "VM1"; g_logo1;

Category_Code = "VM1"; g_logo1;

Category_Code = "VM2"; g_logo1;

Category_Code = "VM3"; g_logo1;

Category_Code = "VM4"; g_logo1;

Category_Code = "J4"; g_logo1;

Category_Code = "J5"; g_logo1;

Category_Code = "NN"; g_logo1;

Category_Code = "RR"; g_logo1; g_logo2)

===

I really thought what I put in place would work. And it does, until I close database. Now, maybe I don't understand Globals enough, or Container fields enough, or even certain complex relationships enough.

All I know is I'm still not 100% on what to do and how. Do I HAVE to create a seperate Categories table/database? If not, what changes to my existing solution described above am I making?

Again, I thank you all for your knowledge, and to those who have it, your patience :)

No, you don't HAVE to create a Categories table (although I don't see why that should pose such a difficulty). What you do need is a Logos table, where each Logo has a record.

Since it's now clear that one logo serves several categories, you have two options:

Define a Categories table, and link Members to Categories (match on CategoryCode) and Categories to Logos (match on LogoID).

Define Categories only as a value list with custom values. Link Members to Logos (match on Category). Format the Category field in Logos as a checkbox, so that you can assign one logo to multiple categories.

The Peter's principle is present everywhere you look and it is due to people being scared to say no because they think they might lose respect. Or, worse, to the fact that they do not know the boundaries of what I like to call their bluff zone. In large companies especially you see that people who say no to a promotion offer, are at the end of their career because they have 'offended' the person who offered is. Utter bull**** to me! I think anybody who is prepared to say: I think my talents do not cover this, is a strong person. This has nothing to do with Filemaker, but, there you go!

This topic is 6493 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.