need suggestions- links to screenshots in text

This topic is 6526 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database for a procedures handbook...there is a text field that will hold the text of documents, but cannot hold the pictures that would normally be included.

The owner would like it so that somehow there would be placeholder links or something that when a reader is reading the document, could click to see the screenshots that would normally be there. He doesn't want to have to export files to open up the document. Maybe even a list of the screenshot files on the side...that could be opened up when the person got to a certain point in the file that they needed to see a certain picture.

And how should I handle this in FileMaker? I'm new to it...should it be imported into a pictures field or separate table...or...?

I can't think of a good way to do this...wondering if anyone could help out with any suggestion at all.

Sorry if this is confusing.

Thanks.

Confusing is fun... i think.

Now here's your issue, FileMaker wasn't exactly made for this sort of application, however there are one or two things i could think of maybe trying, is this required for basically on screen viewing --> soft copy browsing or printing or both? If printing, you could most likely use a report with optional related records, with browsing, well, it gets a bit harder there.

Anyway, give us a bit more of an overview regarding that.

Now, regarding the way to store images, if you want to store them in file, you have to create an additional filemaker file (or at least it is recommended that you do -- purely for the sake of backups and speed / filesize) and reference this in your main file size. Personally, i don't like this method because it slightly limits the possible applications of the images once they're in there... anyway, your other alternative is referencing the images to particular place --> you can do this either dynamically using calculation result container or simply right clicking a container and choosing to insert file --> reference.

Anyway, i get carried away with irrelevant things, so all i'm really asking is for you to be just a tinie wee bit more specific, just so you can maybe haul me or someone else on these forums over the understanding line so we can help you out.

:)

~Genx

Hi Monique:

I'm not sure I understand you completely. Is each page a separate record in the table?

If it is you can just add a container field to hold the picture and add it to your page layout. You could also set up a separate layout that just holds the picture and set up a button with a GTRR that takes you to the picture when the user wishes to view it.

I also believe you could link the picture to a container field and store the jpg in a folder and open it with a button as well. I haven't done this myself but I have done the two above.

HTH

Al

Hey guys, thanks for replying...

Okay...I'll try to explain a little better...the handbook is set up to view and print procedures, but the pictures do not have to be visible in the print copy (people will read the document and see that they should go back to see the pictures).

For just browsing I have a form layout in which there is a text field for the text of the document (which includes text directions and screenshot images to help the reader)...and there are empty spaces in that text where pictures used to be. In the place where pictures should be, they want links to click to make the picture show.

Al, to answer your question...each record is for one procedure document.

Right now I also have 2 container fields...one for the import/export of the whole document...and one I was leaving for screenshots.

There's a million things I'm not sure of :).

First...is there actually a way to make like a link inside the text box? Or could I just have the links text in the text field and listed separately on the side in a list that could be clicked to make the container field change to the right image? I could manage that...but like Genx was saying...about storing images in another file...how do I reference that?

I guess I still have more questions...but I'll try messing around until I hear back.

Thanks for helping out...let me know if I was vague again...I'll try again.

P.S. I was going to paste a screenshot of my layout...should I private message it if it helps?

Thanks comment...that works perfectly...I see how it is set up with the portal, table, and relationships...Genx before had said it might be more efficient to have it in another FileMaker file? Would your example still work...and how could I do that. Would it slow things up if the pictures were in the same table if I had a couple hundred pictures rather than in another file?

Thanks very much for the example file...answers so many questions. :)

If you/anyone has any further advice on file storage/reference...that would be great.

:P

A couple of hundred pictures doesn't seem like much (unless they are huge). In any case you need to decide whether you will store the actual pictures in your database, or only a reference to them. Having the related Pictures table in another file would still work on the same principle as the demo above.

This topic is 6526 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.