User Profiles

This topic is 8173 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello Everyone!

I hope I have found the right forum. I have a solution that I would like to have multiple users be able to set up profiles on it. Heres what I mean:

Is there a way to have a login screen? If it is a new user, then have them go to a profile setup screen where they can enter their name, address, etc? The reason for this is so that when a user logs in, the letters all have a header with that user's name and address and signature on them.

These users don't necessarily have to be on a network, it is possible that they will access the solution from the same workstation.

Now that I think about it, it seems quite involved, so any help that you all can offer is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Ken

We use a derivative of an "open" file that has a set of globals used to store the user's profile. The open script of the file checks to see if the globals are not empty. If not, then the profile is "set" to an identical set of globals in the hosted file, which are then used to mark and pre-fill information in new and modified records in the file. If the globals are empty, then the user is forced to a layout in the "open" file to complete the information and cannot proceed until they are.

If you are interested, I can email you a sample file so you can see how we do it.

-------

At the risk of sounding like a QuickTime movie in an infinite loop without an exit step, I want again to caution that these so-called custom log-on files are HIGHLY INSECURE in most every instance. Before employing one as your principal security device, please understand the security implications thereof.

HTH

Best wishes to all for a successful 2002.

Old Advance Man

quote:

Originally posted by Old Advance Man:

At the risk of sounding like a QuickTime movie in an infinite loop without an exit step,...

Old Advance Man

I like that smile.gif" border="0

Your security warnings are more than enough justified. Think about this scenario:

1. Developer set this "fake" security bulletproof as much as he/she can for company with up to 10 users.

2. He/she left those databases with the company, but the company is growing rapidly and within couple of years there are 100-200 users.

3. Some of them are not very loyal to the company and are also skilled with all protection schemes and/or FileMaker.

4. In the end, proprietors are completely losing control over the system and system works at mercy of those users. If they wish, they can sell the data to worst competitor...

My conclusion is that all databases should have proper security implemented with different level of access for different groups of users.

As a general rule, the closer you stay to the built-in FileMaker Pro passwords, users, and groups....the more secure you solution will be.

The farther you move away from that structure, the more INSECURE your files will be.

Security is about risk MANAGEMENT, not risk AVOIDANCE.

Old Advance Man

Actually, our little 'open' files DO use the FM passwords and groups. THe user profile information is used to further delineate user records and access. The hosted files also will not open unless they are accessed via the 'open' file which further enhances security. Even our FileMaker gurus have yet to find a way in.

Thanks for all your guys' concern, but I don't need the different user profiles so much for security. The datbases that they will have will not have very sensitive information.

I primarily need the different profiles so that it will save a user's progress, and have letter and form templates that display that particular user's address and such.

Thanks for your time

Ken

This topic is 8173 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.