I'm developing Monitoring tools

This topic is 6471 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Today with little to do at work, I created a Java application that monitors the WPE/WPC service and if they don't respond after certain amount of time, I would kill the service and restart it

Does the WPE/WPC needs such a monitoring as I see on the board there are issues of freezing up with this service? I'm thinking of adding to monitor the FMS itself now. What does everyone think is a good thing to monitor ? I'm going to leave monitoring IIS as I think it's pretty rock solid webserver and plus there are tools out there that monitors IIS already. I want to make a specific set of monitoring tools to keep the FMS running 24/7. My ultimate goal is to have my tool be able to reconfigure WPE to point it to a backup FMS if the main FMS fails. Does anyone know where the WPE stores its configuration ?

I plan on releasing my codes to the general public once I have it all down pack and less customized to my specific setup now.

On Windows, FMS ties in nicely with the OS monitoring tools so I see no need to provide anything there. On OSX a good remote monitoring tool is not readily available.

As to monitoring the WPE: how are you doing it? I'm a little worried about the performance effects you might be introducing by monitoring...

I initiate an HTTP handshake to http://site.com/fmi/config every 10 seconds looking for the following respond:

HTTP/1.0 200 OK

It's the same as a web visitor coming to the login page except this doesn't request for the whole page to be downloaded, I only seek for the HTTP response message, what I notice is when WPE goes down, it's basically TomCat Server going down and no web pages would be serve and this would be a good indicator that WPE has bummed out

if there is no respond for over a minute, it sends a system request to restart the service, for now, for the tool to be able to restart the service, it has to run within the domain(on the server itself). As far as performance goes, this tool does not need to be run on all servers. It can be. I have it run currently on the server w/out FileMaker Server on it. The tool can be run remotely also to monitor. I could toss on a bunch of other checks to make it a full fledge monitoring tools. Wouldn't be too hard, but i'm trying not to reinvent the wheel if there are tools (preferrably open source/free) out there already that can do it.

Can you explain how FMS ties into with Windows Monitoring tool? I'm pretty new to working with FMS. My ultimate goal is to make FMS a high availability system as much as possible and whatever patches I can to keep it cranking on its own. I'm not worry about performance as FMS isn't meant to be a high usage system.

Edited by Guest

Can you explain how FMS ties into with Windows Monitoring tool?

The same statistics that are available on the normal FMS SAT tool are available in the Windows Performance Monitor, so you can add them as counters together with all the other OS and machine counters. Works on the server and remotely (as long as you have admin rights on the server).

You can use the command line version of perfmon to set up your own monitoring etc.

This topic is 6471 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.