Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Portal displaying many tables, the catagories/product problem

This topic is 6459 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I want to have a portal (cause I need to interact with each lines), displaying all my products broke down by categories like in the pictures attached.

I already know to do the categorie only portal (depicted in Categories_tree.jpg).

I want to do a portal like "Product_tree.jpg"

I have 2 tables :P one with categories tree and one with "products to categories"

It can't be a report, because I need to have it in a layout and I need to interact with each line.

It should work in multi-user environement so I guess generating a table for display is out of the question.

Product_tree.jpg

Categories_tree.jpg

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Fenton,

I knew this trick, but that's not what I need.

The difficult part is that the products comme from a different table. In your example, all the tree elements are of the same kind/same table.

What I need is to nest info from table B in table A.

What I need looks like nested portals.

Edited by Guest

Do a search of the Forum for +Hierarchical +Portal (include the Pluses as shown) and you will get 24 hits. Included in the hits is an announcement for a Hierarchical Demo file by Excelisys, I have seen others posted in the past on www.fmfiles.com and if I remember correctly a search for Hierarchical there will turn them up.

HTH

Lee

The difficult part is that the products comme from a different table. In your example, all the tree elements are of the same kind/same table.

If you want the different levels all accessed through the same portal, like in your pictures, then the data will necessarily need to reside in the same table. Although it's one physical table, you can think of that table as containing two logical tables (using different fields and containing self-joins on different keys).

If you're not happy about that structural change, then use another technique that uses a separate portal for each level. Clicking on an item in one shows the items contained in the next portal (this is like OS X Finder's 'Column View').

Although it's one physical table, you can think of that table as containing two logical tables (using different fields and containing self-joins on different keys).

Interesting, but then how all elements of table b, related to that element of table A, would display.

I mean, I can have many products, (so many lines), in my categorie. The portal would need to display those many lines.

AND, I need to be able to interact with each product.

This topic is 6459 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.