Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Custom menus associated with a specific user???

This topic is 6399 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Thought I would query this astute forum with regard to whether “Custom Menus” can be associated with a specific user? In other words, when a user logs in can a specific “Custom Menu” related to their username be presented to them? Any help would be much appreciated…………….Ray

Hi Ray,

Custom menus are tied to layouts, and do not seem to be able to be attached to accounts and privilages. If you navigate layouts based on logged in user, then you can achive what it sounds like you are looking for. But the layout is the thing which determines the menu set to be used.

HTH,

Tim

Hi Tim, many thanks for your help. I was hoping that somewhere in the bowels of the user permissions/privileges definition the ability to tie into a specific menu set existed.

I can work with the tie-in to the layout but for me it will take longer to accomplish. Thanks again for your response.........Ray

I don't know enough about Custom Menus to say for sure whether you can tie a user to a specific menu set, however here's another solution:

I gave up on Custom Menus because I felt the implementation left something to be desired. I went back to Dacons Menu Control, which offers a lot more functionality. It's controlled by scripts, so that if you know who the user is, you can bring up a customized menu. See them at Link

Steve

You can use the script step Install Menu Set, with the option [x] Use as File Default, in an opening script (set in File Options). You'd use either Get ( AccountName ) or, more likely, Get ( PrivilegeSetName ) to determine which Menu Set (if any) to use.

From what I read, a Layout's assigned Menu Set will override one that was set as the default via a script. Though I believe that if you went to the layout, then ran the script step, you would override the Layout's currently assigned menu set. But only for right then, when you were on the layout. I'd have to test.

• 1 month later...

Hi man.

Create you Custom Menu. when user login, Run one script.

First Create you Custom Menu. In FileMaker Menu

Tools - Custom Menu - Define Custom Menu

[color:red]example 1

If User = "Boss"

Install Menu Set (X)

EndIf

Or

[color:red]Example 2

Create Variable $Users

Case User1 = "Boss"; $Users = "Boss";

User2 = "Newbie"; $Users = "Newbie";

if $Users = "Boss"

Instal Menu Set Boss

Else

Instal Menu Set Newbie

EndIf

you can create More Menus and create best Solution for this examples. Fun

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this suggestion Fenton. I have spent some time using the "custom menu" tools in FM8.5 Advanced and found them a bit cumbersome at best. Some standard menu sets cannot be modified and others only partially changed. Your suggestion regarding the use of the script step “Install Menu Set” came in handy in a number of instances.

I was able to restrict the users to the desired menu items and sets based on their assigned “privilege sets.” The one problem I have is that their layouts are presented with the standard “Status Area” on the left side. This allows the user to pull down the list of layouts available to them and click on one. When they do this the layout’s default menu is presented with the layout. Unfortunately I have 5 files and many layouts to contend with. I suppose I could not show this “Status Area” but I would then have to add the ability for the users to access the other layouts on each layout. If I could run the selection through a script it would solve the problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

PS: I did look at the Dacon web site but was unable to find any detailed description of the custom menu program.

This topic is 6399 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.