Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

tweaking fx.php - character encoding question

mlindal

This topic is 6560 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is an advanced topic and I need some help to sort our character encoding for fm5/6 data.

This is centered around iso-8559-1 vs utf-8

To send data successfully to an FM5/6 database requires iso-8559-1 encoding.

Example: when creating a new record [FMNew() ] Québec is entered into the filemaker database as Qu@A#5bec if the encoding is UTF-8. When the encoding is iso-8559-1 Québec is entered as Québec.

Now the question:

If a person with a browser set to default coding UTF-8 override my page settings (ISO-8559-1) and still enter garbage characters into the database?

I tested with Safari set to UTF-8 and it did override my page settings.

So now to the guts: é = %E9 under iso-8559-1 and %C3%A9 under UTF-8

In other words: How can I fix the URL string FX.php creates to be ISO characters in these cases.

An example URL string

http://FX:password@host:591/FMPro?-db=database.fp5&-lay=web&-format=-fmp_xml&province=Qu%E9bec&-edit

In FX.php there are xml_parser and ExecuteQuery () and Characterencoding that may need to be tweaked - but I need to know which functions might need to be tweaked so this clears the data.

This may be a minor bug in FX.php for case='fmpro5/6' that needs to be looked at.

Edited by Guest

I may have solved this - but still thinking there are ways of handling data within fx.php for older filemaker versions.

1. My Apache 2.2 was defaulting to UTF-8 (I changed it to iso-8559-1 and things are working)

2. In the PHP.ini file you can uncomment a default character heading and set it to iso-8559-1

That being said, I think within fx.php in the case 'fmpro5/6' section, you might be able to set the character coding there and have it handled no matter what your Apache, ISS or PHP defaults are...

This topic is 6560 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.