Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Page Numbering

This topic is 6549 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Again, I am sure this is a simple matter; so don't look to pathetically upon me for asking please!

I have inserted the current Record Entry for each record, so for example on Record 1 it will say Record 1 and so on, so record 56 will say Record 56. However, what I would like to do is have it say Record 15 of 1056. How would I go about doing this? I can not find a function that allows me to put in the total number of records in the database.

Any suggestions or ideas would be most appreciated. Many thanks to you all in advance.

Mark

Go into the Define Database, and create a new field in your table.

Change the type to calculation.

Then click on "options", and a window will pop up for you to put the calculation in.

This should work:

Get( RecordNumber) & " of " & Get(FoundCount)

--Dawn

This works great, however, there is one small problem with this in action. It shows when going through your records 1 of 1 or 4 of 4 etc, however, what I would like to achieve is have it actually state what record number you are on and how many record numbers there are in total. For example, Record 3 of 50 etc.

How could I achieve that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I have popped a link to this place on our church web site. You guys are great.

Just another quick question, sort of related. I have setup a unique record number for each record entry, so whenever I create an entry, a new number is automatically given. However, if I delete a record, the numbers appointed to the records do not decrease, which means I end up having breaks in the numbering. For example I have records 1 through to 5 I deleted record 6 and then have records 7 through to 100. Can I automatically do it so the unique numbers decrease by 1 whenever I delete a record?

Mark

Okay, I think the problem is that you've got the calculation set to "stored", and you want it unstored.

In the pop up window where you typed in the calculation you wanted, there should be a button that says "Storage Options", click on it, and find the check box that says "Do not store calculation results...". You want that check box selected.

That way, each time you visit a new record, the calculation will be re-done.

It should work then, try it and get back to us.

And I'm not really sure about the auto id. But you could probably right a script that would put your current id in a variable, delete the record then reset your id count to the variable. (If that made any sense to you...)

--Dawn

Dawn - Big hug and kisses coming your way. That worked a treat. There you go, not only have I got it working as I want, but I have learned something new as well. Thank you so much.

Now, I will search the net for possible ansers to my other question. All these scripts and calculations are pretty daunting to someone like me who is new to this stuff. But I am learning.

Mark

This topic is 6549 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.