Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Concatenation and parsing

This topic is 6343 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi there,

I'm using the new List function, and it's really sped one of my scripts up, but to pass data between several fields, I need to work with a concatenated field. That's no problem. The problem is that when I parse the data from the concatenated field, using the

MiddleWords() script step, negative numbers lose their sign.

I'm sure there are plenty of ways around this, but does anyone know the best practice/easiest way?

Thanks,

Dave

If I am reading your post correctly, I think you have created a calculation using a list function that gives you a list of a concat field, which you use a space as a delineator. Then you want to parse out each individual row of the list into seperate fields.

If that is the case and since the "-" character is regarded as a space, you would need to use a substitute function to substitute the "-" character for something else "*" then use a another substitute for your parsing calc to get the "-" back

• Newbies

Yep, you get it.

Sorry I wasn't more careful or explicit in my initial post. I was guessing the solution would require Subtitute, but didn't fully get why. (I thought maybe GetAsNumber() would make FMP realize the "-" was a minus sign rather than a hyphen, which you say counts as a space.)

Thanks for the help, and for the recommendation.

This topic is 6343 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.