Server Maintenance This Week. ×

performing find based on no related records?

This topic is 6337 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all -

This forum was quite helpful and patient with me several months ago when I was putting together a simple application for my office. Since then, my FM Pro skills have oxidated quite a bit, and I find myself lost for a requested enhancement. Help!

I need to produce a simple list report of all records that contain no relations to a particular associated record. In plain english, all the product records that have no relation to an entry in the repair records. What's the simplest way to do this?

And...can someone once again recommend the best reference book available for FM Pro?

Thanks again...

From the repair records table, use a Go to Related Records, 'showing only related records' and also 'Matching All records in current found set'. It will display all records in products that have a match in repair. Then perform 'Show omitted only'. That should give you what you are looking for.

Hi Ender,

I was assuming from the post that mzimmers was looking for All product records and that he had his relationship in place already. But maybe you are right and that was presumptuous of me to assume that. :

I need to produce a simple list report of all records that contain no relations to a particular associated record. In plain english, all the product records that have no relation to an entry in the repair records.

mzimmers, If my assumption is correct and you are looking for Products not Repairs, then also assuming that you have it setup where there is a one of many relationship between Products and Repairs, then you can follow the method that I have described above. If not, then please post back with further details.

Hi, guys -

Thanks for the quick replies. I think I need to clarify the application a bit: I have a table of product records, and another table of repair records. Every time a product is repaired, a repair record is created. (The relating field is called a "label.")

I want to generate a list of all products that have never been repaired. I think the steps that MrVodka suggested are on the right track, but not quite what I want to do.

I'll be happy to provide any additional information upon request. Thanks again for the help...

Okay mzimmers, so when there is a repair or repairs on a certain product, then there will be a record in the repairs table. If you follow the previous steps it should get you what you are looking for.

In your script, go to a layout for the TO for the repairs table, then Show All Records. Then Go to Related Records, 'showing only related records' and also 'Matching All records in current found set'. This will display only Products that have an entry in the repair records. Then Show omitted Only. This will show you all records in Products that does not have an entry in the repairs table.

Go to Layout ["repair_layout"(repair)]

Show All Records

Go to Related Record [show only related records; Match found set; from table: "products"; using layout: "Products_layout" (products)]

Show Omitted Only

This topic is 6337 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.