Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Keeping formatted text while pasting in FileMaker

This topic is 6316 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

My first post, yipee.

I would first like to say what a great community and its an honor to be here.

I am a Newbie with File Maker, so please go easy on me.

My question is: How do I retain formatted text copied from a word document or websites when pasting it into a text field of FileMaker.

Thanks

There are two ways to retain the format of text being pasted from the clipboard. A keyboard combination (on the Ma it is Cmd + Option + v). or using the script step as explained in the online help (availabel with FileMaker open). Search for [color:blue]Paste script step.

HTH

Lee

There are two ways to retain the format of text being pasted from the clipboard. A keyboard combination (on the Ma it is Cmd + Option + v). or using the script step as explained in the online help (availabel with FileMaker open). Search for [color:blue]Paste script step.

HTH

Lee

Just double checking, Cmd + Option + v is for Mac right?

I am not familiar with FileMaker open, can you explain that?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

From the Online Help when FileMaker is open. On the Home Page, towards the bottome of the pag >> Keyboard commands (Windows) on the next page >> Paste, select, and replace keyboard commands (Windows)

Ctrl+Shift+V

HTH

Lee

I tried using Ctrl+Shift+V, seems like pasting without formatting.

Also, I tried using Paste Script without checking the "Paste without style" rest is checked, no luck. Just pasting without the original format.

I have tried both sources from website and Microsoft word document with bold, italics and different font and size, no luck.

Maybe I am doing something wrong??

I think you are looking at this backwards.

If you want to keep the clipboard formatting, you only need to paste it with Ctrl+V, if your want to remove the clipboard styles, then you need to use Ctrl+Shift+V

The Online help Says:

Paste without style tells FileMaker Pro to ignore all text style and formatting associated with the Clipboard contents.

I think you are looking at this backwards.

If you want to keep the clipboard formatting, you only need to paste it with Ctrl+V, if your want to remove the clipboard styles, then you need to use Ctrl+Shift+V

The Online help Says:

Paste without style tells FileMaker Pro to ignore all text style and formatting associated with the Clipboard contents.

When I try just Ctrl+V, it just pastes without the original formatting. Plain text for everything. This is why I originally asked, how do I retain the original formatted text?

By formatted, I mean mainly font, font size, bold, italics and underline. Thankfully, not tab.

Thanks

Colorizing on Windows does not work consistently. Copy/paste color from one FM field to another - works. Copy colorized text from Word to FM fails as does Excel to FM. Whether it works or not might depend upon version of Microsoft product (and OS version) and version of FM.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Hi diehardfan,

Listen to what LaRetta said.

Colorizing on Windows does not work consistently. Copy/paste color from one FM field to another - works. Copy colorized text from Word to FM fails as does Excel to FM. Whether it works or not might depend upon version of Microsoft product (and OS version) and version of FM.

I don't believe that Colorizing was LaRetta's point, I think it was about how Microsoft product(s) and FileMaker, and Windows versions have cause this problem in the past. I believer what the next step should be to clue us in on the versions you are using so that the Window developers who might have had this problem can chime in..

Lee

Good try, Lee - I suppose I should have said that STYLIZING doesn't work. I used colors because that is simple, obvious test. But it seems that diehardfan has moved the question elsewhere and everyone is again going through the questions and same responses we've posed here. Have you even tried copy/paste between other MS programs, diehardfan?

Mac Users can't understand why it doesn't work. And this subject will come up from time to time and Mac Users will continue to say it should work and the person must be doing something wrong. But you will notice that the person posting the question is always Windows XP. The person is NOT doing anything wrong; Bill Gates did. Heck, they still haven't even fixed the color palette which has been broken for 9 years. Some hope that Vista is the answer. Don't count on it.

Edited by Guest
Added sentence

But it seems that diehardfan has moved the question elsewhere and everyone is again going through the questions and same responses we've posed here.

Perfect!

Next time I'll refrain from responding to a question by diehardfan.

Lee

Nah, diehardfan's a good guy, he just didn't understand that I meant stylized as well (my error in wording). I was a bit rushed when I responded about it (dealing with network issues at the time) and I didn't see his response here (I forgot to subscribe to it). It wasn't until I read his post elsewhere that I came back to this post. :crazy2:

Now he knows in both places that 1) he should try copy/paste STYLES between MS programs and he'll see the problem isn't isolated to FM and 2) that most everyone that frequents one forum also frequents them all and he'll get the same people with pretty-much the same responses anyway. :wink2:

Sorry if I offended anyone by posting in other forums, I just wanted to get more input on this problem as I am frustrated with this problem and other. I was hoping atleast one person had a fix to my problems. I did not know the same people were present in different forums. Do not get me wrong this forum has been very helpful and I really appreciate it.

LaRetta, yes I did misunderstood your post when you said colour, I though it only applied to colour but now you have made yourself very clear and appreciate that. As always MS is to blame.

Again, I am sorry for posting in other forums. I hope you guys do not mind I do post in other forms in the future, if you do please let me know. As I will refrain from doing so.

Thank you LaRetta for your kind words and understanding.

Edited by Guest

Hey, no prob with posting in other forums; I've done it as well. But usually, posting back on same thread (no matter which forum it was started) works the best. In this way, we won't waste time covering the same ground (similar to the reasons duplicate posts wastes time). But sometimes people only frequent one forum or the other and you might get fresh perspective (if really desperate) from one of those 'single' forum people that you'd miss otherwise. It just would have been good to finish this thread once started and give us a chance to help you further. Most of us will be reading the thread anyway. :laugh2:

Hey Comment! I thought the post on the other forum was different - I didn't even remember posting on THIS one. After I posted there, I got a strange feeling that I'd done it before and I had to come here to look for myself. :giggle:

Oh, and thank you both for spelling my name right. :wink2:

This topic is 6316 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.